Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    What kind of doctor for a hernia?
    baymarekzd posted:
    My husband is having pain in his groin and thinks it may be a hernia, he doesn't have a regular doctor. What type of doctor should he go to? Does a urologist work on hernias since they are in the groin area?
    counterso responded:
    He can be checked by any doctor for suspicion of a hernia, but treatment will most likely be from a urologist. Do not wait. Hernias can become life-threatening if left untreated.
    Lavarra responded:
    I has been suffering with a Hernia for several years and now it has grown very large. I need to have surgery but I have no insurance and do not have a regular doctor. I just don't know what to do at this point. This Hernia is near my groin area too.
    counterso replied to Lavarra's response:
    An untreated hernia can become extremely life-threatening at any point. You must see a doctor for treatment. Discuss with them up front that you do not have insurance coverage, and surely they will work out a payment plan with you. You cannot leave it unattended. You do not need a primary care physician. Go straight to the urologist office and when you call, tell them that you have a long untreated hernia and it has continued to worsen. You should address it this week.
    David13224 replied to counterso's response:
    Funny, I just had to get a new urologist. My last one was quite good and unfortunately I was dismissed from his practice (AMP Urology) because I became irritated with one of the receptionists, ouch.
    I told his resident that my last urologist examined me and said I had a bulge in my inguinal area. I pointed it out to him. He said I didn't.
    I wrote a note to the attending dr., Dr. Byler, on the website, and his nurse wrote me back that "if I thought I had a hernia I should get a general surgeon because urologists don't do that."
    I have Medicare Excellus PPO. Can you recommend a decent urologist in Syracuse, NY????
    counterso replied to David13224's response:
    WebMD does not allow for specific doctor recommendations. Contact the AUA (American Urological Association) for a recommendation. You also have the option to report this behavior to the medical board.

    Both urologists and general surgeons perform hernia repairs. All urologists are surgeons.

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    65 years young and just trying to do the right thing. At my age I just can't afford any mistakes.

    Helpful Tips

    penis vibration mostly cured
    Just want to thank everyone for their posts. I thought I was dying. Maybe I had brain, spinal, or penile cancer. Reading your posts I ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 1 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.