Skip to content
What kind of doctor for a hernia?
baymarekzd posted:
My husband is having pain in his groin and thinks it may be a hernia, he doesn't have a regular doctor. What type of doctor should he go to? Does a urologist work on hernias since they are in the groin area?

counterso responded:
He can be checked by any doctor for suspicion of a hernia, but treatment will most likely be from a urologist. Do not wait. Hernias can become life-threatening if left untreated.

Lavarra responded:
I has been suffering with a Hernia for several years and now it has grown very large. I need to have surgery but I have no insurance and do not have a regular doctor. I just don't know what to do at this point. This Hernia is near my groin area too.

counterso replied to Lavarra's response:
An untreated hernia can become extremely life-threatening at any point. You must see a doctor for treatment. Discuss with them up front that you do not have insurance coverage, and surely they will work out a payment plan with you. You cannot leave it unattended. You do not need a primary care physician. Go straight to the urologist office and when you call, tell them that you have a long untreated hernia and it has continued to worsen. You should address it this week.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Diagnosed with BXO (balanitis xerotica obliterans) in May 2011. I had a very sever case and had 4 surgeries and was in the hospital for 4 weeks.

Helpful Tips

What is this hard "vein" and swelling on my penis?
Veins in your penis will usually have a blue color, but sometimes you may have what looks like a "vein" appear that wasn't there before, ... More
Was this Helpful?
83 of 172 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.