Skip to content
Balantis
RolloP posted:
I was diagnosed with a yeast infection. My foreskin was very swollen and I had white blisters on the head of my penis. The doctor prescribed 150mg diflucan one dose and said it should clear up in a few days. The first 24 hours it seemed to work as the burning decreased and puss came out of the infection. It's 3 days later and I have not improved much from the first 24 hours. The otc medicines only relieve the symptoms. What can I do now?

counterso responded:
A yeast infection may take several weeks to completely clear up, especially if it has become so dramatically present. Continue with the daily treatments, eliminate all contact with any sexual partners. Make sure any you have had also receive treatment so they do not give it back to you.

Also eliminate sugar, sodas, caffeine, and red meat from your diet for a week so you are not feeding the yeast what they like to eat.

And work on strengthening your immune system with a good probiotic for at least a month. While yeast infections can occur spontaneously if you have a weakened immune system such as when you are under a lot of stress, have a cold, or generally have poor health habits.

Most likely you are stopping the OTC treatments too soon, or you are getting reinfected from your partner after you clear up your infection.

It's important to report your situation to the doctor who prescribed the diflucan (lack of resolution) right away. Chronic infection can lead to scarring and it sounds like your infection this time was very dramatic.

RolloP replied to counterso's response:
Counterso thanks for your response. I probably did stop the otc medicines too quickly. Can you use that stuff for 6 weeks or more? I thought a few days at most or the yeast becomes resistant to the medication.

Also, my Dr. suggested I take 2400mg of red yeast rice to lower my cholesterol. Could this supplement be the reason for these yeast infections all of a sudden?

counterso replied to RolloP's response:
The "yeast" in red yeast rice is actually mold, not truly a yeast. It's an indistinct Chinese translation to English. Both are fungi, but mold has multicellular filaments and yeast is single cell. The yeast infection you're experiencing is most likely Candidiasis.

No, you should not use the OTC cream for more than a couple weeks. At that point it's time to see a dermatologist for a more effective treatment strength and supervised care. Yes, the candida can become resistant to treatment. There are options, but they require your doctor's awareness of your resistance and a different prescription.

I haven't asked, but diabetes and other conditions that weaken the immune system are often contributing factors to candida infections in men. The primary cause is sexual contact though. When you take a probiotic, make sure it contains the lactobactillus variety which helps keep candida in check.

RolloP replied to counterso's response:
Do diabetes or any other illnesses. I'm 49 and this is my second infection in the last year. Both times occurred after using a hot tub. The frustrating part is,the 2nd time especially, I felt it coming on and immediately used the otc medicines but it could not control it and so I stopped using them.

I'm not familiar with probiotics. My Dr. suggested AZO yeast supplement. Is this the same thing?

counterso replied to RolloP's response:
No AZO is not the same thing. They make a bunch of symptom relief products for various conditions.

Probiotics are the "good" germs you find in things like yogurt. There are many, many varieties in capsule form. The one that you want to most combat candida albicans is lactobactillus (not sure if I spelled that correctly). These good bacteria live in your intestines and are more than 2/3 of your immune system keeping bad bacteria in check. Find them in any natural foods store or vitamin store.

Sounds like you should stay out of the hot tub. While there are many skin infections that can be transmitted in warm, wet environments, hot baths can also cause mild (asymptomatic) infections to bloom into acute outbreaks.

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am a 25 year old male and i have alot of medical problems.To start with i have rhumatoid arthritis, bulging discs and degenerative disc disease in m...More

Helpful Tips

Regarding erectile pain.
I was experiencing pain when I had erections. It was like a muscle strain sort of feeling. I was concerned until I figured out why I was ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.