Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
intermittent catheterisation when you're on the go
An_245691 posted:
Hi, due to urinary retention, I have to do clean intermittent self-catheterisation 3 - 5 times a day. My doctor lately suggested that I try to increase this to 5 times a day, and this would be difficult to schedule it with just the time I'm normally at home / at a comfortable place to perform it. I use disposable catheters, size 14.

I wanted to know if anyone could share their experiences on what techniques work best when one has to do a catheter not in the comfort of his own home. How would you go about taking it with you? Especially if you're going out with a group of friends, where not of all of them know that you have to do such self-catheterisation? Also, how do you clean yourself? Do you use wipes, and if so what type / brands of wipes are ideal? What about having to do it in places where there is no running water? Also, can a catheter be bended, so that it can be taken with you more easily, as it can be quite "long" to store it somewhere slightly concealed?

Thanks a lot - all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

counterso responded:
Unfortunately I don't think you'll get an answer here. This board is not a regular community where people hang out. Almost everyone asks one question and then leaves or searches for the answer to one question and leaves. You're not likely to encounter folks who are regular readers who have chronic concerns as you do. Good luck

Spotlight: Member Stories

65 years young and just trying to do the right thing. At my age I just can't afford any mistakes.

Helpful Tips

What is this hard "vein" and swelling on my penis?
Veins in your penis will usually have a blue color, but sometimes you may have what looks like a "vein" appear that wasn't there before, ... More
Was this Helpful?
82 of 171 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.