Trouble quitting my addiction to masturbating.
An_246259 posted:
Hello, I am a teenager currently struggling against my addiction of masturbating. I have been doing it daily now for about a year, and I am really frustrated of doing so. The reason as to why I do it is because I have an urge to do it. Honestly, I do not care about the pleasures I receive as from doing such. I tried quitting, but after two days of stopping, my penis feels very weird, such as numb-like and some force makes me go do it. I am also scared that if I quit, will there be a major buildup of semen in my prostate and will it lead to any problems? Also, what should I do to quit this ugly habit? Please help me.

counterso responded:
It's not an ugly habit. The first thing you should do is drop the shame you have piled onto this natural behavior.

What defines abnormality is when you are masturbating to the exclusion of other things (scheduling around it for example).

As a teenager, you should hopefully talk to your parents about sexuality and your body. But if you're not willing to talk about something natural like masturbation, it's important that you don't frame your experience in isolation.

Anything you are associating as an "addictive" behavior is based on the reward you get for taking the action. It may not be the reward you expect (physical pleasure), rather it could be something else (self-control, excitement of secrecy, anything else you might feel).

Once a day for a teenager isn't really too often. So long as you aren't spending a lot of time doing so, and you're not rough with yourself, it's highly unlikely you'll have any negative effects. The urgency you're feeling is possibly the anxiety towards satisfying the mental/emotional craving that this self-mastered habit provides. Like you said, it doesn't have to be about the orgasm, but there are many physical and emotional effects of masturbating that can drive you to repeat the experience.

First, let's educate you that there is no buildup of fluids. Your body replaces the three parts of semen as they are consumed. If you don't masturbate, you're not going to explode, and you're not going to leak. There's a safety mechanism even so, and nocturnal emissions (wet dreams) are possible if you have frequent stimulation without release. That's mostly because your body tries to finish what you started, again, not because you're filling up a tank that gets over-filled.

So, a suggestion would be, aside from recognizing that masturbation isn't ugly, that you consider all the things you feel once you have masturbated...not just pleasure, but other mental or emotional satisfaction. Like I said, it could be just the opportunity to accomplish something that has a definitive benefit, beginning and end, that you control and no one else does, could be the simple feeling you wish to repeat. Or it could be something else entirely. I'm sure you don't discount that it feels good, which may be a secondary reward, but actions aren't always triggered by the most obvious or most rational choices.

Do it when you want to, just don't let it get in the way of other activities. Make it something you do when you have time, not something that takes precedence over other things you would otherwise be doing. It can be simply stress relief. You'll eventually feel less inclined to do it as often when you find other things that satisfy whatever this satisfies for you. And when you're not a teenager with typically "raging hormones" you will also have a more stable libido that governs when you address your natural sexuality as a human person.

Yes, when you repeat the same stimulation and then withdraw from it, you are likely to notice the absence of that stimulation. To reduce this feeling of absence, you should widely vary your masturbation techniques. This way when you do eventually have sex with another person, you will also not have trained your penis only to like the sensations produced by your hand in the position you usually are in to masturbate.

If there's something else going on, you can post more here or talk to a friend or family member who isn't uptight about sex.

An_246259 replied to counterso's response:
Thank you so much! I understand it is normal for teens to do so, but I just wanted to make sure that I am not overdoing myself with it. I really appreciate all your info! Also, I was wondering why the tip of my penis starts to have a strong, weird feeling when I try to stop? It feels like I have to ejaculate right then, which causes me to quickly masturbate. I've been experiencing sensitivity as well on my penis. Lastly, I tend to urinate alot when I stop. Should these effects go away? I am not trying to stop permanently, but just see if I can go at least a month without doing so.

counterso replied to An_246259's response:
It sounds like it may be your particular choice of technique that is "irritating" in that way to the nerves in your penis. Just try some different techniques, make sure you're using lubricant, and don't be too aggressive with your penis. It may seem like a steel rod to you, but it's actually very fragile and if you are overly rough in handling, it can make the nerves act weird or you can actually injure yourself.