Skip to content
Occasional Sharp Pain and Blood during Urination
An_247015 posted:
About 5 times over the past two years I've had some pain and blood during urination. The first two times it happened within one week and I had a urinalysis done which came up with nothing. I've also had STD tests which came back clear.

When these incidences occur there are a few things that happen:
1. A quick (1-2 seconds at most) pain at the tip of my penis during urination.
2. A small amount of blood following urination
3. I believe that on each occasion I was also having a bowel movement when this occurred.

If it's of any significance, I've never had blood without pain, but have had a lesser degree of pain with no blood after urination. It seems that the amount of blood also corresponds with the level of pain. So more pain means more likely there will be blood. Again, it's never much blood either way and always after urination. I'm a 25yo male.

counterso responded:
Well, the more significant the injury (pain) the more likely there is more blood. None of it is good. Blood outside the body at any time is an emergency. There are any number of things that could cause this, kidney stones, a small skin flap that gets torn inside your urethra, or something else. But unless you see a urologist when it happens, a regular doctor is going to provide ZERO useful information. Blood does not accompany STDs and shouldn't be your first thought. Torn skin does bleed. While there may not be a sinister cause, it's always troubling. If you strain during a bowel movement, you could also burst a small blood vessel, which just means you shouldn't strain, and you should also modify your water intake and eating habits so you're not so constipated. Anyway, just get an emergency appointment with a urologist if there is a next time.

Spotlight: Member Stories

65 years young and just trying to do the right thing. At my age I just can't afford any mistakes.

Helpful Tips

Regarding erectile pain.
I was experiencing pain when I had erections. It was like a muscle strain sort of feeling. I was concerned until I figured out why I was ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.