Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I'm 33 and I get up 6x a night to urinate
dawgphan posted:
I'm 33 yrs old and I have been waking up to urinate on average 4 to 6 times a night for the past year. Frequently I will wake up having just urinated or about to urinate. When I walk down stairs I sometimes feel the "jiggling" of the steps and it causes me to urinate. If I get on a treadmill, I can go about an 1/8 mile before I have to urinate. I could sit in the same position for hours, shift my body slight, and then have the sudden urge to urinate.

I've seen 3 different urologists. One told me I need a sleep study, one was worthless, and the other one prescribed both Uroxotrol and RapiFlo. Neither worked. I am absolutely at my wit's end.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

counterso responded:
You're correct that the situation is abnormal. It's unfortunate that the urologists were so dismissive. Are you particularly stressed or anxious about anything? Have you had a major life change in the last year?

An_248030 responded:
I used to have the same problem. When it got to the point where I could not sit through an hour long meeting without excusing myself, I sought help. I was in my late 30's.

I was put on Flowmax, and it was miraculous. I had no side effects, but know someone who did, but I cannot recall what his side effect was.

It was developed as a blood pressure lowering medication (beta blocker, I think), then when it turned out to work so well for frequent urination, they renamed it and got a new indication from the FDA, and it became a block-buster. Generic name is Tamsulosin HCL 0.4.

My urologist even put me back on it after a prostatectomy due to prostate cancer, and it still helps me!

counterso responded:
The symptoms of urgency can be caused by something as seemingly unrelated as stress/anxiety in your life. That could be work stress, life change stress, relationship anxiety, etc. There could also be a nerve issue where your bladder is over-sensitive to the trigger of feeling like you have to go. You could see a neurologist about it, but I'm going to guess that the first contributing factor is a more likely scenario.

If you stick out your tongue and look in the mirror, are the sides of your tongue scalloped like they have impressions of your teeth?

meddeveng replied to counterso's response:
counterso (apology to dawgphan , as this thread is about you and not me)

Now you have MY complete attention! I have had that issue with my tongue for 35 years. I get these lesions on the sides of my tongue that feel like someone sliced lengthwise down each side with a razor blade.

I was told by an Asian doctor at age 20 that it was due to a vitamin B deficiency Over the years, I have definitely found a direct correlation between my vitamin B intake and the lesions.

Another doctor told me recently that it was probably me biting my tongue in my sleep.

What is the connection, in your experience, between this "scalloping" and frequent urination?

counterso replied to meddeveng's response:
The scalloped impressions on the side of your tongue are a symptom of swelling, which in Chinese medicine is associated with the "spleen" meridian. That's energetics, not a reference to an actual organ. It is common that someone with this deficiency also feels chronically tired, or is unable to get restful sleep. It is also the energy responsible for holding fluids where they belong (e.g.; in your case, the hematoma issue is another symptom).

B vitamins are those that help your body process energy, and if you're chronically tired, useful.

Spleen Chi Deficiency is very treatable with acupuncture or Shiatsu (and with some dietary choices too), and if you are severely depleted, you may even feel depressed in addition to being tired or loamy.

I'm guessing you're an engineer, so you like to have clear solutions and answers. With this variety of medicine, the answer is always going to be "it depends." That may be frustrating, but it doesn't mean there's no answer. It just means the answer needs to be discovered through thorough analysis. TCM provides a very analytical assessment with a skilled practitioner. Unfortunately many practitioners have gotten very airy-fairy about it and aren't always as useful because they don't dig deep enough in their analysis and rely too much on intuition.

While you have the care of medical professionals, you might find that some of the ancillary and nagging issues are helped in significant ways from a good TCM therapist. There are always a few whose reputation greatly exceeds their neighbors in effectiveness. If you're looking for a practitioner, I would suggest starting with some who are certified by NCCAOM to check out, before cracking the phone book.

meddeveng replied to counterso's response:
This is getting scary.

I had my spleen removed many years ago after an accident.

As for neuromas. I had a brain neuroma in my 30s. My current pain situation involved nerve pain (the only kind of pain, really). With all of the nerves I've had cut, neuromas on the cut ends is a concern.

I has severe "stomach issues" in my 20s (post-splenectomy) and the thing that finally cured was herbs and diet directed by an Eastern medicine practitioner.

I believe when you refer to TCM, that is Traditional Chinese Medicine. There's no shortage of those in my area.

While I have you in contact, can you please tell me if any of these penis enlargement products on the market actually work?

sdbrian replied to meddeveng's response:
Prostatitis (enlarged prostrate) can cause frequent urination. They would likely treat with Cipro (low dose for 60 days) or have you take ibuprofen daily to reduce swelling. A urologist can also scope you (endoscopy?) to see if you have issues.

Floxmax does work, but can inhibit erections. And it treats the symptoms, it's not a cure.

counterso replied to meddeveng's response:
When I say "spleen" I am NOT talking about the organ itself, only the energetics. And some believe that "spleen" refers to pancreas anyway. But, the earth energetics (spleen/stomach) are very interconnected with stomach.

There are no penis enlargement products that work. Every urologist will tell you this. And most would not even recommend plastic surgery because of the loss of normal function (requires implant assistance for erection).

The only thing that comes close is the traction devices, and those rely on a careful balance of damage and healing while you forcibly stretch your penis for many hours a day. Like stretching any part of your body (like ear lobes, scrotum, etc.) it can result in unappealing deformation, even if it does increase size. You may end up with a skinny noodle. It's not recommended.

counterso replied to sdbrian's response:
I think you meant BPH, not prostatitis. It's much easier to do a DRE (digital rectal exam) to find an enlarged prostate.

I think the issues here are way more complex than an enlarged prostate, considering all the surgeries that have occurred.

jameshodge responded:
If it prostitis then try taking Super Beta Prostate for it. It's natural nutrition supplement that contains all the nutrients and vitamins required to maintain a healthy prostate. I've been on it for my prostitis for the last 2 years and my prostate hasn't had problems since. I though super beta prostate scam when my doctor first suggested it to me but surprisingly enough it wasn't and did exactly what it said on the box. Consult your doctor and give it a shot.

counterso replied to jameshodge's response:
There is absolutely no benefit for prostatitis from a nutritional supplement. There is benefit for BPH for about 50% of men in using saw palmetto and beta sitosterol. But BPH and prostatitis are not the same thing. A specialized antioxidant formula may also reduce prostate cancer risk, but again, that has nothing to do with prostatitis.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had prostate removed 5 yrs. I have had incontinence every since. I had colligen placed near my bladder two times.No luck. I had mesh sling surgicall...More

Helpful Tips

optimizing testosterone therapy
The following is my opinion and observations ONLY based on over 15 years of testosterone therapy. It's a life-long constant ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.