Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Probability of Genital Warts
    Anon_158017 posted:
    hello everyone, i would like some advice. This week i have found a small circular bump both on the underside of my penis and the testicular area close to the base of my penis. I will try to describe them as best as i can, they are circular in both cases and seem to be subcutaneous ie. the skin above these bumps is perfectly smooth and not broken and not calloused. if i lift the flexible skin on my penis i can move skin over this bump, same case on my testicle. When erect i notice other smaller follicle/glands of a whiter colour around both bumps, this corroborates my theory that one of these could have been inflamed?

    I have recently shaved in this general area so i suspect that it could be a clogged hair follicle? i have had a clogged sebaceous gland on my penis before which went away with a anti-sebaceous shampoo.

    What are the odds of it being genital warts? the last time i had a risk contact was more than 2 years ago and have subsequently been vaccinated with Gardisil for over a year. since then i have only had a single sexual partner that also has been vaccinated with Gardisil. What are the odds of a latency period this long?

    Should i be worried? under your best judgment what should i do about it?
    counterso responded:
    Probably best to treat it like an ingrown hair, and so long as it doesn't show signs of infection or increase in size, likely not need a doctor's attention, and isn't warts so will go away on its own. If it starts forming pus or increases in size or becomes painful in the skin, or does not go away within a week or two, you probably should see a doctor to either lance the infected skin or determine if it is a wart. If you're worried, you can go now to the doctor. Skin infections like this can become severe quickly because of nearby bacterial contamination probability, so shouldn't go untreated for long. Remember, you cannot put regular antibiotic ointments like neosporin on your genitals. We hope it's not warts, but it will take a little time observing them to get a better guess, unless of course you have a doctor look at them now.
    Anon_158017 replied to counterso's response:
    Hello Counterso,
    I appreciate your reply. Since my initial post the bump on my testicle has since disappeared and the one on my penis remains, i cant discern a hair shaft or pore opening. Considering the timeline that i gave you, do you consider it possible to have contracted genital warts or have such a long latency period?

    counterso replied to Anon_158017's response:
    Warts may be dormant for extended periods of time and only appear when your body is under stress (physical, mental, emotional). However, it sounds like the bump on the shaft may just not have healed as well as the other, and may still have a hair trapped in there making it callous. This is one of those things that is extremely hard to assess without seeing, so you may be best checking in with a skin doctor.

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    I had prostate removed 5 yrs. I have had incontinence every since. I had colligen placed near my bladder two times.No luck. I had mesh sling surgicall...More

    Helpful Tips

    Skin burning in my left waist area at belt level
    Does any professional know about a condition with symptoms of skin burning in my left waist area at pants belt level? I have had this for ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    43 of 64 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.