Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Reports to request for Enlarged Prostate Gland
johnm1976 posted:

What are the reports that a Urologist should request to check for enlarged prostate gland issues? This is for a 66 year old male patient (my father) and his Ultrasound shows that his Prostate is severely enlarged with a volume of 74cc.

The opinion of the lab based on the ultrasound was:
"Severe prostatomegaly is noted with significant post void residue"

The current Urologist has suggested surgery but I would like to get a 2nd opinion and also generate more tests and reports before taking the drastic steps.

Any other things I should consider at this stage?

Thanks in advance
counterso responded:
A digital rectal exam is usually all that's needed to determine that the prostate requires treatment. Whether that treatment is pharmaceutical or surgical depends on the symptoms, their severity, and what other factors are noticed. You can certainly request pharmaceutical options prior to surgery. The results should be promptly noticed. There are about 3 drugs you can try, if the first doesn't work, you can try the others, and if none of the three provide the desired relief, then surgery is the next step.
counterso replied to counterso's response:
That said, the doctor probably inserted a catheter, which is also standard, to see just how dramatic the constriction is, after he determined that it was actually enlarged. It may be that the constriction is so severe that he knows drugs will be insufficient to provide relief. These are all questions for your urologist, not this board. He's the one who did the examination and knows the specifics of your father's situation.
jameshodge responded:
I'd recommend reading up on Super Beta Prostate testimonials . You'll probably find a lot of people who've been through similar situations and come out successfully. Surgery is serious and should be carefully considered.
counterso replied to jameshodge's response:
Testimonials are garbage sources of information. Saw palmetto and other similar products only work for 50% of men. SBP is not going to post testimonials from the 50% of men for whom their product will never work.

It takes 6-8 weeks to build up a concentration of the plant sterols that provide benefit. So, the only way to know if a specific product works for you (just like the drugs that your doctor might recommend) is to try them. In the case of saw palmetto, you have to take it consistently for two months and not mix it with other remedies to know that it is what is providing relief.

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am a 25 year old male and i have alot of medical problems.To start with i have rhumatoid arthritis, bulging discs and degenerative disc disease in m...More

Helpful Tips

What is this hard "vein" and swelling on my penis?
Veins in your penis will usually have a blue color, but sometimes you may have what looks like a "vein" appear that wasn't there before, ... More
Was this Helpful?
90 of 180 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.