Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Penis underside swelling.
    Sam420 posted:

    I am a 24 year old male and the past few months have been very troublesome for me.

    It started with pain in the underside of my penis. Went to the urologists who put me on several different antibiotic courses over the course of 2 months but no improvement.

    The area is now swollen. It is like a swollen vein running along the base of my penis (below the urethra) from the testicles to the mid shaft. I believe it is the 'corpus spongiosum' (after googling penis anatomy). Red spider veins have also started showing presence over there.

    I have been studying up sclerosing lymphanngitis mostly on this site. Can this be lymph swelling? Can lymph swelling occur on the underside of the penis as well or is it only on top of the penis?

    Please help as any info would be greatly appreciated. I am scared this might be something serious like cancer. I have ordered the quick penetrating cream as well and hope it can improve my condition.

    Thanks for your help in advance.
    counterso responded:
    First, it's not penis cancer. That's a crazy conclusion to jump to.

    Lymphatic swelling is centered around the channels and nodes that make up the lymph system. While they can swell significantly and cause pain, you'll be able to feel a rigid "vein" that is the lymph channel at the center of the irritated area when so. If it is confined to a channel like this, then it is likely lymph related. If it is in the soft/spongy tissue only, not caused by a lymph channel that runs through it, then it's something else.

    It's always poor advice to take an antibiotic without actual proof that there is a bacterial infection. It can also dramatically weaken your immune system and cause other things to go wrong. You should always take a probiotic for a month after taking any antibiotic.

    The swelling you describe could be as simple as an allergy to a fabric or a food or a detergent that cleans your clothes.

    You might alternately have a fungal infection in the skin that has become irritated.

    It's a challenge to guess exactly what's going on without inspecting the area, but hopefully that's what your urologist would have done for you. Did you discuss lymphangitis with the urologist as a possible cause? What did they thing was causing the irritation?

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    i am a 25 year old male and i have alot of medical problems.To start with i have rhumatoid arthritis, bulging discs and degenerative disc disease in m...More

    Helpful Tips

    penis vibration mostly cured
    Just want to thank everyone for their posts. I thought I was dying. Maybe I had brain, spinal, or penile cancer. Reading your posts I ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 1 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.