Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Burns when I urinate
An_250251 posted:
When I urinate, it stings. The stinging starts at the base of my penis and travels all the way to the end. It feels like sharp needles.

The first day of the stinging, I went to Urgent Care. They did a test for STDs, which is due back on Monday. The Dr. prescribed doxycycline, which I've been taking every day for the past 4 days.

I've have no change in symptoms, except that I notice a slight milky discharge in the mornings at the tip. I tried taking Azo, and also drinking unsweetened cranberry juice to dull the pain, but it has not worked. It's to the point where I'm avoiding liquids at all costs because it hurts so much.

Any advice?
counterso responded:
Do not withhold liquids for fear of pain. That will cause other serious problems from dehydration. You need to contact the doctor that prescribed the antibiotic because if it's not working yet (in 4 days), you need to let them know. Cranberry juice does absolutely nothing for a urinary tract infection once the infection has occurred. Stop drinking it. It is only a preventative measure prior to e.coli infections.

AZO Standard is a numbing product, and if that isn't helping, you really need to talk to your physician.
sfguy08 replied to counterso's response:
I started drinking water again to rehydrate. A new doctor took me off the doxycycline and prescribed pyridium. I've been taking it for a day now, and it still stings like mad at the end of my penis. I think I might have to see a urologist, I can't take this much longer.
counterso replied to sfguy08's response:
I hope you went to see the urologist. A numbing agent is not going to solve the problem.

Consider that if it is ONLY the tip of your penis, and no other reason has been found, that you might have a parasite from seafood.

If you have any update since last time, please post.

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am a 25 year old male and i have alot of medical problems.To start with i have rhumatoid arthritis, bulging discs and degenerative disc disease in m...More

Helpful Tips

What is this hard "vein" and swelling on my penis?
Veins in your penis will usually have a blue color, but sometimes you may have what looks like a "vein" appear that wasn't there before, ... More
Was this Helpful?
90 of 180 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.