Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Non Specific Urethritis Concerns
    Tim23 posted:
    I have had a urinary infection on three different occasions after straight unprotected vaginal sex in the last 2 years. Each time I am tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea and it comes back negative, each time am diagnosed with non specific urethritis. I have been recently tested at the health department for other Stds and I came back clear. The doctor always acts like it is nothing but I am very concerned...I am in a monogamous relationship and I want to have a healthy sex life with her and this is very alarming to me.

    Anyone else out there having these problems and any tips on what I can do to prevent this from continuing? Any advice is welcome. Thank you.
    Tim23 responded:
    My family Doctor had a urine test run to detect any bacteria found so the best antibiotics can be prescribed.....the tests came back negative for any bacteria, but I still have redness and discharge a few days after sex. This has happened with 3 partners. What am I dealing with?
    counterso replied to Tim23's response:
    It may not be bacterial at all, especially if you were tested for them and found none. You could have a fungal infection (candida) with some dramatic symptoms, in which case both you and your partner need treatment at the same time for a week.

    Regardless, no sex until the situation has been resolved. At least use a condom until it's been figured out if you can't control yourself.

    It's extremely unusual for men to get UTIs, typically only one of three reasons: poor hygiene, sticking something in your urethra, and physical malformation. If these three things don't apply to you, it's completely unexpected for you to have a UTI, hence your "non-specific urethritis" diagnosis. It could even be as simple as an allergic reaction to the lubricant you're using.

    Try the Vagisil for both of you (or equivalent) for a week, and see if things improve. If not, go back to the urologist.

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    I had prostate removed 5 yrs. I have had incontinence every since. I had colligen placed near my bladder two times.No luck. I had mesh sling surgicall...More

    Helpful Tips

    penis vibration mostly cured
    Just want to thank everyone for their posts. I thought I was dying. Maybe I had brain, spinal, or penile cancer. Reading your posts I ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 1 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.