Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Non Specific Urethritis Concerns
Tim23 posted:
I have had a urinary infection on three different occasions after straight unprotected vaginal sex in the last 2 years. Each time I am tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea and it comes back negative, each time am diagnosed with non specific urethritis. I have been recently tested at the health department for other Stds and I came back clear. The doctor always acts like it is nothing but I am very concerned...I am in a monogamous relationship and I want to have a healthy sex life with her and this is very alarming to me.

Anyone else out there having these problems and any tips on what I can do to prevent this from continuing? Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

Tim23 responded:
My family Doctor had a urine test run to detect any bacteria found so the best antibiotics can be prescribed.....the tests came back negative for any bacteria, but I still have redness and discharge a few days after sex. This has happened with 3 partners. What am I dealing with?

counterso replied to Tim23's response:
It may not be bacterial at all, especially if you were tested for them and found none. You could have a fungal infection (candida) with some dramatic symptoms, in which case both you and your partner need treatment at the same time for a week.

Regardless, no sex until the situation has been resolved. At least use a condom until it's been figured out if you can't control yourself.

It's extremely unusual for men to get UTIs, typically only one of three reasons: poor hygiene, sticking something in your urethra, and physical malformation. If these three things don't apply to you, it's completely unexpected for you to have a UTI, hence your "non-specific urethritis" diagnosis. It could even be as simple as an allergic reaction to the lubricant you're using.

Try the Vagisil for both of you (or equivalent) for a week, and see if things improve. If not, go back to the urologist.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had prostate removed 5 yrs. I have had incontinence every since. I had colligen placed near my bladder two times.No luck. I had mesh sling surgicall...More

Helpful Tips

Skin burning in my left waist area at belt level
Does any professional know about a condition with symptoms of skin burning in my left waist area at pants belt level? I have had this for ... More
Was this Helpful?
43 of 64 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.