Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Creatinine levels
Knicolejw posted:
I need advice about my 17 year old son. He has had elevated creatinine levels ranging from 1.27 to 1.47 for about 1 1/2. He weighs about 138 lbs, 5 ft 7 in and does not have any chronic diseases such as diabetes or high blood pressure. He has had 3 kidney ultrasounds and a kidney biopsy with normal results and healthy kidney tissue. He does not take any extra protein or work out extensively. Meat in his diet consists of poultry and seafood, NO beef or pork. He has stopped taking NSAIDS and has been drinking eight 8oz glasses of water a day. My questions are:
Are these levels concerning for a growing young man?
Would his creatinine levels decrease to normal as he grows older?
Would these high levels eventually affect his Kidneys?

Thank you

Concerned mom

counterso responded:
Unfortunately there are too many specific details we can't know about this situation that are preventing an easy answer.

I'm assuming you mean that his blood levels of creatinine are over 1.2, which is considered high if not a bodybuilder, so yes, concerning. The levels are symptomatic, not what actually causes a problem, so "affecting his kidneys" is kind of backwards. A dysfunctional kidney could have a symptom of elevated levels (of many things).

Because the answer is so highly individual, I'm afraid you're only going to be able to get answers from the doctors who are working with your son.

There's no predicting how his levels may change until they've determined what's causing the symptom in the first place. I'm not sure where to tell you to look further since it seems he's been tested extensively.

Has he done a 24-hour urine test for creatinine clearance to determine renal function? Does your son drink a lot of caffeine?

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had prostate removed 5 yrs. I have had incontinence every since. I had colligen placed near my bladder two times.No luck. I had mesh sling surgicall...More

Helpful Tips

What is this hard "vein" and swelling on my penis?
Veins in your penis will usually have a blue color, but sometimes you may have what looks like a "vein" appear that wasn't there before, ... More
Was this Helpful?
82 of 171 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.