Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Blood in semen, please help
An_250950 posted:
Hello, there was blood in my semen the other day and I'm pretty alarmed. This has never happened to me before. There wasn't much, but enough to make my concerned. I don't have any stds and am a healthy 33 yr old male.

This is the only thing I can think of....my wife was away for a few months teaching a class overseas. During this time, I didn't masturbate at all (I don't masturbate often). Could this be the cause of this? It concerns me because I urinate frequently, but have been for many years. I've seen THREE different urologists about my urination and they all tell me there's nothing wrong with me.

Any thoughts?

counterso responded:
Blood in semen is always alarming, and it should be, but it doesn't necessarily indicate a sinister source. There are many activities that can cause a minor injury resulting in such bleeding. Still, this is a literal red flag and a reason to see a urologist. Most likely, if you're lucky, it will go away quickly and you won't see it again.

Lack of masturbation is not a cause, nor is frequent urination. What do you consider too frequent?

As long as the blood was not profuse (more of a stain than a river), the injury was probably a burst capillary, either from holding your urine too long, or sitting on a hard object (like a bike seat), or straining too hard in exercise.

If it is mild but happens multiple times, this may be a warning about the condition of your circulatory system. Otherwise if the urologist says there's nothing wrong with you and it's a one-time occurrence, it was probably just a minor injury. Good to be concerned, but not necessarily an emergency unless it's profuse or repeated.

Spotlight: Member Stories

65 years young and just trying to do the right thing. At my age I just can't afford any mistakes.

Helpful Tips

semen color
last few days i noticed that the color of my semen turned yellowish from white. is it a serious problem More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.