Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Potential Yeast Infection
StarFoxMo posted:
Hey guys - thanks for any help in advance.

I've got what could be called a rash on my penis (I'm 31 and circumcised). Under the fold of skin before the head on the right hand side the skin is a bit flaky and scaly - sometimes red. This started as a very small patch (maybe 1 cm square) that I noticed maybe 6 months ago. Since then it has spread to wrap half-way around in a band under that skin (still about 1cm wide, but it stretches about 5-6cm around). It also itches periodically. Not constantly - usually just in bursts of about 30 seconds at a time every now and then, but its very intense when it hits.

At first even though I've never had unprotected sex in my life, I immediately throught "STD" and went and got a full set of STD labs done. Came back clear.

I then started looking online and found some pictures of a candida yeast infection of the penis that visually are a spot-on match for what I'm experiencing. Unfortunately after using virtually every anti-fungal cream and powder I can find (butenafine hydrochloride, miconazole nitrate, clotrimazole, ticonazole) it hasn't gone away. These seem to have lessened the symptoms (as long as I'm using them the itching doesn't seem to be as frequent or severe and the affected area seems to have shrank some), but after over 6 weeks of application I still haven't returned to normal.

At this point I'm ready to see a doctor about it, but I'm not sure if a urologist or a dermatologist would be the proper choice. Any suggestions on that or my condition in general?

Thank you.
counterso responded:
You can see either type of doctor, but you shouldn't wait a day longer. Over the counter creams should only be used as directed and if not effective, not continued, because they're still strong medicines and can cause other problems by extending their use.

Yes, men can get yeast infections, even spontaneously, and they are usually a symptom of a weakened immune system. So, if you get proper treatment for this skin rash (which should have been seen by a doctor 5 months ago after your home treatment didn't work), make sure you do the work to strengthen your immune system.

At the same time, cut out all sugar, red meat, smoking, and caffeine, especially while you're treating the yeast infection. Those three things will just encourage the yeast growth.

Report back on how it goes.

Spotlight: Member Stories

65 years young and just trying to do the right thing. At my age I just can't afford any mistakes.

Helpful Tips

What is this hard "vein" and swelling on my penis?
Veins in your penis will usually have a blue color, but sometimes you may have what looks like a "vein" appear that wasn't there before, ... More
Was this Helpful?
90 of 180 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.