Skip to content
shooting pains in penis
An_251220 posted:
Not even sure where to start with this one. It is weird, or at least I think so until someone is able to explain whats going on.

I was riding in the car on a 3 hour trip when about 2.5 hours into the ride I had some strange pains shooting the length of my penis. It seemed to stay form the base to the head and would pulse every so often. I could not even fathom what was going on. I did have a feeling I had to urinate but wasn't holding it in and did not really have to go.

I was using my smartphone map function to help with directions when the pain started. I had to put the phone down and concentrate on breathing, thats all I could do because it hurt that much. It lasted about 15-20 minutes and then seemed to subside and was easier sitting there. When we arrived at our destination I went inside to use the bathroom and was afraid I would only pee blood or something. I was able to go without much pain, some but not bad and no blood that I could tell.

I have never had these types of pains before and have only had some minor pains like this one event for a few seconds at a time over the last 3 days.

If I had to describe the exact pain and what it felt like I would say it felt like the inside of my penis was being constricted around a bunch of tiny razor blades inside my penis. So the constriction and the burning of razors would be my best guess.

I have been treated within the last year for a swollen prostate with a weeks worth of AB(?) and have some recent feelings of it getting larger again.

What the hell is going on with my penis?
Thanks.

counterso responded:
I'm sorry to hear about your pain, however the only solution is going to come from a visit to the urologist. This doesn't sound like anything ordinary or easy to explain just from the description of your symptoms. Please make a prompt appointment. No pain in the penis is a good pain, they're all an alert to see the doctor. Your GP will not be able to help you. See a urologist please.

An_251220 replied to counterso's response:
What COULD it be? Should I find a different way to explain the pain I did have? Is there something I should watch for or check?

An_251220 replied to An_251220's response:
Oh ans THANK YOU for replying!!!!!

counterso replied to An_251220's response:
Sorry, I do not have answers for you. They would be a 100% guess, so not useful, since they are just a list of things that can lead to symptoms, but not things that necessarily affect you. Knowing the list will not narrow it down for you because you're not a doctor and a physical exam and questions are really the most useful things. Please see a urologist. Do not wait. Do not pass Go and collect $200. Waiting can only increase risks, not resolve questions.

I went today to the urologist. He did an exam as well as a prostate exam and said all was fine. He did not know what had caused my pain and wants me to do a CT scan and see him again next week.

Nichole_ responded:
Have you considered kidney stones maybe?

counterso responded:
Unfortunately internal pain usually has two settings, off, and OHMYGOD. As a result, locating the source of pain compared to where you feel it can be tricky. So, while you felt pain in your penis, it doesn't mean that's where the source of the issue is.

Sitting for extended periods, and it could just be once, even if you have sat in that same spot many times before, can impinge some major nerve bundles. And since you have a huge number of nerve endings in your penis, the sensation may register as your penis even though the impingement could be somewhere else.

Think of it like the pins and needles you feel when your arm falls asleep. While the pressure on the nerve may have been in your armpit, you feel the tingling throughout your whole arm, especially your fingertips where there are more nerves, once the signals start getting through.

Anyway, good that you're paying attention, but really difficult to say what the exact cause was. Since you're already receiving some care for an enlarged prostate, make a phone call and mention this episode to your urologist. If he decides you should have an appointment, take it. Otherwise, unless it happens again, my suspicion is that this had more to do with your particular seating at the moment than a chronic problem. If you find differently, please post more.

Again, Thank You for your replies and others who have offered advice. I take any and all info offered, within reason.

Anyway, I had the CT scan disk images at my followup appointment. He quickly went thru them and pointed out my different internal organs but did not say anything about any stones. I assume they (stones) are small on the scan and would require a steady scan looking for them. My opinion was he scanned way to fast to see a pin point in the scan, as well as he was looking at other areas. He pointed out my gall bladder for example.

He sent me to the lab to do some blood tests and a 24 hour urine collection. I had to turn in 2 small samples of the collected urine. I have another follow up in a few days I assume to go over the lab test results.

In the mean time the pain has returned on several occasions. Instead of it being centered on the penis, like the first time I noticed it, it now shoots down my scrotum and groin area. I have tried to use the analogy of the hand asleep due to pressure in the armpit. I have tried to find the source of the pain in the penis/scrotum/groin and have come up with the source as possibly being the bladder?

Could my bladder be changing shape/shifting/shrinking which is then causing my urethra to pull back?

Could something be happening with my bladder, like the armpit pressure idea, which causes the pain to radiate down stream and result in me experiencing the pain(s) I am?

Any valid input would be greatly appreciated. As well as any questions I can ask about at my next appointment.

Also, I have had some very serious pains in my left side/back. Some times it hurts more when I breathe, not that it hurts my breath or lungs but in the kidney area of my back/side. It only lasts about 2-3 hours or after 2 trips to the urinal. No blood in urine and no pain, however minutes after voiding my bladder it feels like I still have to go. I try to go and some times only go a little bit. (I think 'why did I waste a trip to the bathroom to get rid of that little amount of urine?')

I do drink plenty of water, most of the time.

I get smaller pains a little lower on my right side from time to time but no where near the pain on my left side.

Your bladder cannot pull on your urethra. You still sound like there may be a kidney stone issue. Note that you do not have to be able to see stones for them to be present. They can be lodged up internally, or they can just be rough grit, smaller than sand grains, and you may never see the issue visually.

I suggest you see a urologist or nephrologist with the idea of possible kidney stone formation in mind. There is an excellent and vast resource of information at http://www.urologystone.com which may be helpful to you.

Either way, this persistent pain is not acceptable, and perhaps a more eager internist will spend the time with you to help figure out what's really going on.

Again, THANK YOU for your help. The urologist did some blood work and a 24hr urine test on me. The results are in and he is concerned about some of the results being to high. He has me booked with a nephrologist for next week.

We will see what comes of that............

So I went to the Nephrologist who is not at all concerned like the urologist was about the high levels from my blood test results. She did not think the elevated levels were of any high concern for now. Its worth keeping an eye on as it could have been a wrong exact level. She had me do some more blood test and yet another urinalysis test. I follow up with her in a few weeks.

In the meantime, I am still concerned as to what is causing this pain in my penis. I have tried to narrow it down to something I eat, exercise, activities, stress, ..... no pattern yet that I can tell of. The pain is almost constant every day it shows up. Sometimes the pain gets so bad I think if it gets any worse I am going to have to take a trip to the ER. (But, really, what can they do for me there???)

I am still loosing weight (down to about a pound or two a week) and eating right. I do also have pains in my mid to lower back area that are NOT muscle pains.

Can I inform the nephrologist of my penis pain and can we get back on track with trying to find that, rather than looking at my other problems (that currently do not harm me) ?

Thanks!

Yes, you should not be delaying the report of any pain to your urologist or nephrologist. No pain is normal. You need to pursue this daily until it is resolved. Do not let the doctor be dismissive. At a minimum they can provide some numbing pill that will likely alleviate some of the sensation you're feeling.

Also consider changing what you're sitting on for a while, like changing from a chair to an exercise ball to see if that makes a difference. It could be nerve impingement, and you might need to see a neurologist, if the uro-docs can't find anything wrong.

amazingdave replied to An_251220's response:
Sounds like a kidney stone is moving out bladder infection.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had prostate removed 5 yrs. I have had incontinence every since. I had colligen placed near my bladder two times.No luck. I had mesh sling surgicall...More

Helpful Tips

What is this hard "vein" and swelling on my penis?
Veins in your penis will usually have a blue color, but sometimes you may have what looks like a "vein" appear that wasn't there before, ... More
Was this Helpful?
83 of 172 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.