Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
A few drops of blood in my urine, but only when I sit to urinate.
An_251244 posted:
Usually when I sit down to defecate, I end up getting the urge to urinate at the same time, so I stick my penis down into the toilet to do so. Well when I am done urinating, I will bring my penis back up and it will have a few drops of blood leaking out. Is it possible that I am cutting the flow through my penis causing this? I should also mention I have had kidney stones about 6 years ago. Not sure if that would change anything.

counterso responded:
This could certainly be related to the persistence of kidney stone formation. Even though the stones may no longer be large, they can still be forming and the tiny sharp sandy material can be cutting you and leading to bleeding. This is something to discuss with your urologist who is aware of your kidney stone history, as no amount of bleeding is ever normal.

Your urologist will probably tell you that you should not have to bear down to defecate so hard that your bladder is affected, or that the passing of bowels should press on your prostate to trigger the urge to urinate. That could be a constipation issue or an enlarged prostate issue.

Certainly a large portion of people eliminate both ways when sitting on a toilet, but it sounds like you previously didn't anticipate this experience and this is a change for you. Noticing the change is what calls necessary attention to the situation.

There's nothing that is "normal" that causes you to bleed, so while it may not be a sinister cause, it's certainly something to call your urologist's office about to make an appointment, especially because it has not been just one time.

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am a 25 year old male and i have alot of medical problems.To start with i have rhumatoid arthritis, bulging discs and degenerative disc disease in m...More

Helpful Tips

semen color
last few days i noticed that the color of my semen turned yellowish from white. is it a serious problem More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.