Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
turp retrograde ejaculation(i.e.permanent dry orgasm), sugery, implants, genetic treatment, etc to reverse
treadwellfra posted:
preface: to exhausted and depressed to use medical terms exclusively.
I am 57 year old male. Last year in January of 2012, I was suffering from my bladder not emptying fully. I could not sleep for more than an hour before waking up with a deep numb pain in my lower abdomen. It took two months for my pcp(family doctor)to figure out I needed a sonogram after many other tests. I then had to wait another month to see a urologist. I had a cystoscopy(?)done. In so many words he said my bladder was "shot". And he said that after having to wait so long did more damage and stretched my bladder. At first I was on a permanent catheter and urine bag. Then I was allowed to intermittent catheter.

Even though this was much better than having a tube up my phallus constantly and could still have sex AND EJACULATE, it seemed i had irritation all the time in my phallus(penis). I felt desperate and called an out of town University Hospital's urology department. They asked which doctor I wanted to be seen by. However my desperation overtook me and I said please give me the soonest available appointment with any urologist. note: don't do this, you will probably get a doctor who is not getting that much "business" and that could be he/she is not competent.

In a week I was seen. I saw a young doctor who barely gave me the time of day. And he was very irritable, overachieving and just really nasty. However again my anxiety and suffering overcame me and when he suggested a turp procedure i jumped at it. He told me nothing about any termporary or permanent pros and cons. He said he was confident that my problem would be cured or alleviated by the turp. Most of all, HE NEVER TOLD ME ABOUT PERMANENT RETROGRADE EJACULATION PRIOR. After the treatment I was urinating like a donkey for the summer of 2012. However in four weeks after surgery my first sex since prior to the turp, My orgasm since and to this day is not only dry but feels like nothing, just going through the motions.

I am so tense now, i feel like hell. My dry orgasms give me no relief from sexual tension. I don't even want to hear the word sex. But I still am not internally sterile so sooner or later you need some sexual relief. But I won't even make love to my left or right hand. Quite frankly, I don't want to live anymore.

A doctor replied on another website said there are reconstructive surgeries. However I doubt these are available but only to those who are wealthy and are probably inconsistent.

What ever happened to the Hippocratic Oath "first do no harm". And anyway I have to self catheter again. My current urologist says I probably never had an enlarged prostate to begin with and that turp destroys that part of the anatomy that allows semen to come out of your penis instead of now going into your bladder.

please help!
counterso responded:
Unfortunately there is no advice. If you think you were subject to an inappropriate procedure, then you should take some time and talk to a lawyer to see if you have a case.

As far as medical priorities, proper urination is a medical necessity. Sexual gratification doesn't rank on the scale at all.
ymouszanon replied to counterso's response:
The main point you glossed over is that it probably never was my prostate that is the cause of my bladder not emptying adequately. Proper urination and release of sexual tension are separate and equal in importance to one's well being. I am not a hedonist and don't need "gratification". I am a man and like every man and sex drive repressed is detrimental to over all health. In fact there would be no human race or any creatures on this earth without sexuality.
ymouszanon replied to ymouszanon's response:
Sorry, that is my screen name on another message board. treadwellfra is my screen name here
counterso replied to ymouszanon's response:
You don't want me to get started about the human population. Every man's libido is different, so that's not a judgment we can make here.
Sexual health is important for SOME people's emotional well-being, and not for others.

Ejaculation is not required for sexual function unless you are trying to have children, and even then there are ways around it. So, from a purely medical perspective, there is no medical "need" to ejaculate to be healthy, and therefore it is not considered a medical concern.

Whether you agree with the perspective that urination and ejaculation are FAR from equal or not is not in question. The medical community has a fixed opinion on this at present, and urination wins 100% of the time over ejaculatory function. That may be disappointing to many, but it is the state of medicine today.

If you wish to make an issue about your specific circumstances, that will be up to you and your attorney and what you can convince a court to believe. It will however be an uphill battle, and there were likely waivers you signed before the procedure that reviewed risks such as you have experienced.

Good luck.
gingerman replied to counterso's response:
I still don't understand how urologists can tell us that after the operation the sex and everything will be perfectly normal exept that we won't ejaculate anymore. Then if it isn't the case, they just keep on saying that it can't be the TURP operation as it was in my case. I know what a good sex life I had before the operation and what a pathetic climax I have now. My sexlife was exelent and very important to me and I hate that doctor who talked me into it. Why didnt he put me on flomax before he did this dreadfull operation so that I could at least have had some time to think or as my new urologist say I could also feel how retro would feel with the flomax. The urologist who did the TURP on me also went on as if I don't have much time with my symptoms and that I must book a bed in the hospital as soon as I could. I thought that there was big problems and that if he didnt operate on me that it could develop into cancer. Little did I know. All I know today is that don't trust any doctor anymore. I'm so sorry I didn't know my new urologist at that time. I know 3 other people who had the operation and they are totally unhappy with their new retro climaxes. I still dont know anybody who are happy with it so I dont know how they can keep on telling us that the feeling and everything will be perfectly normal after the operation with all the evidence of unhappy people. I even read on another website about somebody who shot his urologist. I can understand his frustration.
counterso responded:
I'm sorry that you had unexpected consequences. If you feel your doctor did harm or failed to provide the required disclosures or did an incorrect procedure for your issue, you should speak to an attorney. We cannot offer legal advice.

As for how you feel today, please seek care from a psychologist to address your feelings about your situation.

No, there's likely no going back after this procedure, no reconstruction. More surgery would be more trauma.
treadwellfra replied to gingerman's response:
Thank You. I started the thread. everything you have written is true. And in my case my urologist never even told me prior to turp, that I would be afflicted with permanent dry orgasm(retrograde ejaculation). The vast majority of males agree with you and I and have had their emotional and thus medical health made worse by inadequate sensation and sexual tension relief due to turp induced permanent dry orgasm. At the core of the US medicine for profit system is unnecessary surgeries and procedures. Any way I still have to self catheter which means the problem means it was not an enlarged prostate. My current urologist confirms this by the deduction that because I have to self catheter i did not have an enlarged prostate but a neurogenic bladder.

by fellow turp victim treadwellfra

Spotlight: Member Stories

Diagnosed with BXO (balanitis xerotica obliterans) in May 2011. I had a very sever case and had 4 surgeries and was in the hospital for 4 weeks.

Helpful Tips

Skin burning in my left waist area at belt level
Does any professional know about a condition with symptoms of skin burning in my left waist area at pants belt level? I have had this for ... More
Was this Helpful?
43 of 64 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.