Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Redness around urethra, burning while urinating
An_252474 posted:
Hi there, so I'm somewhat freaked out at the moment with some issues going on on the head of my penis. I am uncircumcised but I am sure this is not related to good hygiene, as I am very adamant that. Yesterday urinating began to be a bit painful, not unbearably so, but a bit at the beginning if the stream. Ive been having sex with one individual for the past two months so I'm pretty positive it is not an std like gonorrhea or chlymidia. After the last weekend that I spent having inter course with this individual I had quite a bit of itching for days after and I just assumed it was chaffing as that tends to happen to me. But it's been 2 weeks and the burning while urinating just started yesterday as well as some itching. I can only detect a little bit of redness right where the skin meets the shaft which hurts a bit when it doesn't itch.

The only other thing that's weird is that yesterday I also got a massive canker soar, or ulcer, on my tongue. This is something that I haven't gotten in a long time, and I remember hearing that they are caused by acidity imbalances. Other than that I have no other symptoms. Im healthy, sleeping well, and feeling great. What could it be??
counterso responded:
Canker sores can be caused by an acidic imbalance, or simply from stress. While you may not have a bacterial or viral STD, you could certainly have a fungal or yeast infection or be having an allergic reaction to a lubricant, condom, soap, food, or fabric. Certainly you must stop having sex until you resolve the issue. It's very easy to try a yeast infection treatment OTC to see if it resolves the issue in a week (and your partner needs to do so simultaneously).

Chafing should not be a persistent issue for you, and if it is, you should see a urologist to address it.

While you may have been exclusive with your sexual partner, there's nothing proving they have also been exclusive, or that they were asymptomatic when you two started and could have been infected without showing any signs.
Ljons88 replied to counterso's response:
Thank you so much for the quick response. I am really having no other symptoms. My urine is clear and I'm urinating regularly, so from what I've read about the symptoms of some STDs that would rule them out. I am seeing my physician tomorrow, but I was hoping to rule that out. I I also have a red bump with a white top (like a white head) where the skin meets the shaft on the inside. I have had that before and it has been benign, but this one hurts. Does that sound familiar to you? I'm thinking it's fungal or yeast, but I would love any other information that you can spare.
Ljons88 replied to Ljons88's response:
Actually there are two bumps that don't really have tops. They aren't too painful, but I'm quite worried
counterso replied to Ljons88's response:
It's not necessary to have classic symptoms of an STD to have an STD. Many cases include fewer or no symptoms, which is often why hidden infections get spread in the first place.

The description of your bumps sounds a little like Herpes, but that's for your doctor to diagnose. It could be something else entirely.

Keep in mind that your general practitioner knows about as much about your genitals as you do about how to drive a submarine. Do not accept an antibiotic prescription unless an infection is actually found. And be prepared to see a urologist if your GP says they aren't sure what's going on.

Spotlight: Member Stories

65 years young and just trying to do the right thing. At my age I just can't afford any mistakes.

Helpful Tips

What is this hard "vein" and swelling on my penis?
Veins in your penis will usually have a blue color, but sometimes you may have what looks like a "vein" appear that wasn't there before, ... More
Was this Helpful?
90 of 180 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.