Skip to content
Burning on tip of penis and constant urge to urinate
jarett73 posted:
About a week ago I started having a burning sensation at the head of[br>my penis and i constantly had the urge to urinate even 5 minutes after[br>I just finished urinating. This would go on constantly. I obviously[br>thought it was a Urinary Tract Infection and went to the doctor. They[br>did a urine test on me and gave me a 7 day dose of Cipro. They said[br>the urine terse came back negative but were pretty sure it was a UTI[br>so I started taking the antibiotics.[br>[br>I was searching around on the internet because I was confused to what[br>was wrong with me and noticed that the drug Zzzquil has the active[br>ingredient Diphenhydramine HCL which is the same active ingredient in[br>Benadryl. All medicines that have this active ingredient have this[br>listed as one of the major side effects. I have been taking Zzzquil[br>about 6 or 7 times in the last 2 weeks to help me sleep because I have[br>occasional bouts with insomnia.[br>[br>The symptoms didn't go away and it was about 3 days later so my doctor[br>wanted me to come in again. They checked my prostate and did a STD[br>test using another urine sample. Im married so I am pretty sure its[br>not chlamydia but since the symptoms were exactly what I am[br>experiencing, I forced them to run the test for it. I have not gotten[br>the test results back from this second test yet. I will post those[br>results when I get them on Friday.[br>[br>The doctor said that he thinks it's the Zzzquil (diphenhydramine). He[br>said that diphenhydramine, OTC sleep aids, antihistamines, etc, do[br>cause these types of side effects but I cant really find much[br>documentation anywhere of other men having this issue. I figured I[br>would post this to see if other people have experienced this exact[br>issue or something similar. I only found one post where someone had[br>the exact same symptom as me here:[br>[br>http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192243 [br>[br>I obviously stopped taking it and I do feel a lot better. It has been[br>3 days since the last time I took it. The doctor said it might take a[br>while for the symptoms to go away becauseI have to get it all out of[br>my system.[br>[br>Any responses, info or advice would be greatly appreciated...[br>[br>[br>Thanks
Jarett

counterso responded:
Self-diagnosis is always troublesome. There are multiple issues you are conflating into one here and it's important to keep them separate because each is independently important.

One, you had a burning sensation and false urgency symptoms. Alone this can reveal many things including several you suggested. First, it would be extremely unlikely that you had a UTI. Men do not get UTIs except in three circumstances. 1) you insert something in your penis, 2) you have poor hygeine, and 3) you have a physical abnormality [which would make this not your first UTI if true>. Although an STD is unlikely, there are some STDs that can be dormant for years without symptoms and only an increase in stress weakening your immune system will bring them out. There is also the possibility of an allergic reaction, which did eventually come to mind for you. A parasitic infection, which very few people ever think of, including doctors. And plain old anxiety, which has been shown to trigger urinary symptoms.

So, good for you for going to the doctor. Bad for you for taking a powerful antibiotic with no evidence of a bacterial infection. Please take a probiotic for a month now to recover from the devastation of your immune system by Cipro.

After your antibiotic treatment, there will be no evidence of any STD if there was one, so that's moot.

It sounds like you may have a reasonable answer of the combination of a medication to which you are somewhat allergic and the anxiety that is producing your insomnia.

The real answer here is to eliminate the anxiety issue, and not to use anti-histamine products off label as sleep aids. If you have difficulty sleeping, consult your doctor and use a proper sleep aid WHILE you seek treatment for the root cause of your insomnia.

jarett73 replied to counterso's response:
Thank you for you reply and advice. Sorry my post has all the page breaks. I didnt see it when I was posting.

Well, not surprised that my bloodwork including the STD tests came back negative. I thought of a possible cause after I posted this. My wife and I are very sexually active and we do different types of sexual things, masturbation, etc. Lots of rubbing sometimes for long periods of time almost every day. I stopped all sexual activity right when I thought of it and its been a few days now and I think that was the cause actually.

Does this seem like a possibility to you? I didnt think of this right away because of the constant urge to urinate, which is the part that doesn't make sense if this in fact was the cause.

jarett73 replied to counterso's response:
I just got back from my Urologist that said that he is sure that my issue was caused by too much sex? He heard the symptom and started asking me if i was sexually active, how many times a week, duration, etc. My wife and I do have sex with forplay several times a week. Probably once a day on average and an hour or 2 in duration. He said lots of rubbing and too much ejaculation will cause this symptom in men my age. He said he sees other patients with the same issue often. He said I should only do it 3 times a week max for an hour or less max. This diagnosis also makes sense to me because when I started experiencing this pain, I stopped having sex and I feel completely better now 2 1/2 weeks later. The urologist said he is 100% sure this is the cause of my problem. What do you guys think? Make sense?

jarett73 responded:
Oh heres my original post without the page breaks if anyone wants to read it:

"About a week ago I started having a burning sensation at the head of my penis and i constantly had the urge to urinate even 5 minutes after I just finished urinating. This would go on constantly. I obviously thought it was a Urinary Tract Infection and went to the doctor. They did a urine test on me and gave me a 7 day dose of Cipro. They said the urine terse came back negative but were pretty sure it was a UTI so I started taking the antibiotics.

I was searching around on the internet because I was confused to what was wrong with me and noticed that the drug Zzzquil has the active ingredient Diphenhydramine HCL which is the same active ingredient in Benadryl. All medicines that have this active ingredient have this listed as one of the major side effects. I have been taking Zzzquil about 6 or 7 times in the last 2 weeks to help me sleep because I have occasional bouts with insomnia.

The symptoms didn't go away and it was about 3 days later so my doctor wanted me to come in again. They checked my prostate and did a STD test using another urine sample. Im married so I am pretty sure its not chlamydia but since the symptoms were exactly what I am experiencing, I forced them to run the test for it. I have not gotten the test results back from this second test yet. I will post those results when I get them on Friday.

The doctor said that he thinks it's the Zzzquil (diphenhydramine). He said that diphenhydramine, OTC sleep aids, antihistamines, etc, do cause these types of side effects but I cant really find much documentation anywhere of other men having this issue. I figured I would post this to see if other people have experienced this exact issue or something similar. I only found one post where someone had the exact same symptom as me here:

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192243

I obviously stopped taking it and I do feel a lot better. It has been 3 days since the last time I took it. The doctor said it might take a while for the symptoms to go away because I have to get it all out of my system.

Any responses, info or advice would be greatly appreciated..."

counterso replied to jarett73's response:
Certainly "abuse" of your penis can cause all kinds of unwanted sensations from the damage it does. Your penis is not a machine and rather delicate, although many men think it's a piece of steel capable of enduring whatever kind of attention they put to it. Your penis was built for infrequent vigorous use of no more than 20 minutes at a time. If you are grinding on it, masturbating for long periods, or just having aggressive sex on a regular basis, you can screw up the nerves as well as cause structural issues from overuse.
Your urologist is probably pretty smart, and I'd go with what he says since he's had the chance to examine you.

An_254834 responded:
In May 13 I started experiencing a burning in the tip of my penis when I urinated. I went to the docs and was diagnosed with urethritis and given some antibiotics (3 day course, can't remember the name). They seemed to have no effect but the burning went away on its own after about a week. It then re occurred frequently over the course of about the next 4/5 months, and a burning spotty rash kept coming up on the head of my penis. I assumed it was just a bit of thrush (I used to suffer with it as I played a lot of sports), so I used canesten cream on and off as it seemed to come and go.
I eventually got so fed up I went back to the docs who said I may have a fungal infection and prescribed me Timodine cream. I used this for a couple of weeks with no improvement. I got so paranoid I paid for 2 private STD tests in this time (?660 in total! — Both times negative and no bacterial or fungal abnormalities). I went back to the docs and he re assessed me and said he still believed it to be a fungal infection, and prescribed me 6 WEEKS worth of anti-fungal cream (Timodine again) and Terbinafine tablets. Again, I used them for 2 weeks — no improvement. The rash actually seemed to be getting worse and my foreskin seemed to be drying out and cracking, so I self-medicated and put nappy rash cream on (Sudocrem) — it works on babies bums, right?. DO NOT DO THIS!!! It made it 10 times worse! My foreskin dried right out and the head of my penis actually started peeling! I then went back to my docs and insisted he referred me to a private dermatologist (I have BUPA cover, but was reluctant to use it due to the 'personal' nature of my complaint!).
I saw him, and he took one look (with a magnifying glass - I wasn't happy about that!), and immediately said 'well it's not STD, I could have saved you ?600, it's seborrheic dermatitis caused by an allergy to the candida (fungus) that lives on the head of the penis. It's very common'. He also asked me if I had any other skin conditions, and I mentioned that I had mild blepharatis, and this reinforced his diagnosis as these 2 conditions are often linked.
He prescribed me canestan 1% (applied once a day in the morning), steroid cream (applied once at night) to reduce any inflammation, and to stop using soap and only clean myself with Dermol 500 lotion. After a week it seemed to be improving and he told me to stop using the steroid cream and use the canesten twice a day. One week later and all symptoms completely gone, and 2 weeks later I'm still all clear!
I will continue to use the Dermol 500 lotion and canesten as they seem to keep the symptoms at bay, and they can be bought over the counter.
I hope this helps anyone who is researching the same symptoms, I was for months and it made my life an absolute misery.

boklos responded:
I'm soooo glad I found ur post, cuz I have same symptoms and I also took zzzquil, but would have never knew if nit for yr post! I started searching the internet and thinking that I maybe got prostatitis as the symptom are similar.
I'm definetly stopping it now and I'll see what happens, hope its temporary effect. What happened to u ?

jarett73 replied to boklos's response:
No. if you read my post above itsays that my problem had nothing to do with the zzzquil which is just benadryl anyway and not even a new drug at all. total scam.

the dr said my problem was too much sex, haha...

freshprinceofbelair responded:
Hey I found this post online and you have ever symptom I have currently. I was taking Zpac for a cold and NyQuil for about 2 weeks, 2 weeks ago. But now I have all the symptoms you just described. I was wanting to know if you can tell me if it eventually went away, or what you did to fix this. Thank you,
Hope to hear from you soon.
-Dyl

counterso replied to freshprinceofbelair's response:
freshprince,

Your abuse of antibiotics for a cold (virus), on which a zpac has NO effect, probably compromised your immune system, allowing for a yeast infection or other skin infection to start. Shame on your doctor for over-prescribing.

Start taking a good probiotic to restore your immune system, and take it for 30 days. Meanwhile, depending on your specific symptoms, you may try an OTC yeast infection cream, and if that does not resolve the issue in the time stated on the product, see your doctor.

tammyhiles responded:
Hello,
The urge of frequent urination can be due to diabetes mellitus. Other possibilities are glomerulonephritis, pyelonephritis(inflammation of the kidneys),urinary tract infection, hypercalcemia, hypokalemia(low potassium),hyperthyroidism, hyperparathyroidism or diuretic drugs.International Drug Mart Forum provides you more detailed answer on this.

counterso replied to tammyhiles's response:
Tammy, there was no description of symptoms that suggested the other conditions you list.

Yes, there are MANY conditions that can include a symptom of urgency and frequency.

The original poster did see a physician, and was dealing with a skin infection of some kind. The other conditions you mention seem very unlikely considering the description provided.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Diagnosed with BXO (balanitis xerotica obliterans) in May 2011. I had a very sever case and had 4 surgeries and was in the hospital for 4 weeks.

Helpful Tips

What is this hard "vein" and swelling on my penis?
Veins in your penis will usually have a blue color, but sometimes you may have what looks like a "vein" appear that wasn't there before, ... More
Was this Helpful?
83 of 172 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.