Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I have a bulging blue vein on the head of my penis, help!
JPain07 posted:
Hey, I'm a 19 year old guy. 2 weeks ago after vigorous masterbation I noticed I have a blue bulging vein causing pain and discomfort in an area along lower rim of the head of my penis, close to my bango string. For the first week I tried to stop touching myself, however but managed to masterbate 3 times. Reading this discussion I have decided to not touch it at all, and in the 2nd week I haven't touched it, the pain isn't as bad but the vein is still there. I was wondering is it ok to touch it in the shower washing myself everyday, or is it best to touch it washing that area say once every 3 days or even a week? It is a troubling time for me as I was planning on getting back with my ex girlfriend and this is going to ruin my plans. I appreciate a response, thankyou
FirstPrevious12NextLast

counterso responded:
There is no anatomical part called a bango string.

You can certainly wash yourself properly. What you're avoiding is unnecessary handling. Obviously you need to hold your penis to urinate and to wash daily.

Your girlfriend needs to understand that a health condition prevents you from using your penis. If she doesn't respect your health needs, she should not be your girlfriend. That said, there are hundreds of things you can do sexually that do not involve using your penis. Be creative.

JPain07 replied to counterso's response:
Thanks for the advice, just wanna make sure I'm doing the right things so I can get my life back on track with a healthy penis. I think this lympth inflation has been caused as I'm recently single and I masterbate often as I don't have my girlfriend anymore. Plus I don't use lubrication. One other question, I work out in the gym 3-4 times a week, will this affect the recovery of my penis in any way? May be a stupid question but I thought may as well ask. And in regards to your comments on my ex, i completely agree! Thank you

I'm dead nervous, feel down as if I won't have sex again

JPain07 replied to JPain07's response:
Plus when I handle my penis, is it ok to handle the surrounding area away from the vien? I seem to rearrange its position when it's uncomfortable, is it ok if I don't touch the area where the sore vein is?

counterso replied to JPain07's response:
Your workouts aren't likely to affect your penis unless you're leaning on it, like reverse situps. You don't need to hold back from adjusting the position of your penis, the instruction is not to play with it. Normal handling, such as taking it out to urinate and putting it away, or moving it to a position where it doesn't hurt, is useful and not going to cause a problem.

I'm sorry that there's no quick fix. When you get back to normal, you should be using lubrication to masturbate. Remember, your penis is built for infrequent vigorous use for about 20 minutes at a time, in an environment that is similar to intercourse. When you deviate from your penis's purpose, you need to respect what it was built to do and not assume it's made of steel. It's a complex and fragile organ although many men treat it like a hammer.

Thank you for your help and advice, I respect your commitment to people with these problems. This website and your advice has helped me a lot!

So far I've had this problem for 3 weeks, and I have not master bated or had sex for 2 weeks. Pain wise, there's very little where the vein is, however the vein is still bulging out and has not decreased in size. I know time combined with no touching is the best remedy, however are there any foods, drinks I can consume or any tips I can consider to help the recovery process any further? I feel similar to a lot of guys on here, upset, frustrated and down because of this. Also I have a swimming pool out for the summer, the water is cold at first, does the cold water help the inflammation at all? And btw when I'm in the pool I just relax on the rubber ring, not doing anything to hurts penis, just relaxing.

Plus, everytime I wash myself down there the vein starts to sting and hurt after. Feel like I'm getting nowhere fast, I'm not touching it during the day and I'm seeing no improvement. I'm going to see my gp and see if he can get me in contact with a local/ nearby urologist, so I have a face to face talk, as I feel like I have no one to talk to about it around me. The fact that its not improving is making me feel depressed.

have been to see my gp, and he has prescribed me with Clobetasone anti-inflamatory cream. What is your take on using this cream for this issue?

Anti-inflammatories are for what they're for, however your GP has just prescribed a steroid to use on your genital area, which is usually a bad idea.

The swimming pool is not going to help or hurt you. If you're feeling pain after washing, you're probably washing too roughly.

I know you'd like to accelerate the healing process. Unfortunately, as the urologist will tell you, there's nothing whatsoever to reliably do so. And even if it worked for one person, there's no indication the same thing would also work for you. Understanding the structures and repair processes is about as good as it gets for figuring out what's going on in these situations, and explains why results from any remedy are unreliable at best. Your urologist will confirm that after some period of time, this condition will magically disappear as suddenly as it appeared. Leave it alone for another week after it looks/feels completely fine, and you hopefully will be past it and can resume normal activity.

thank you for your help. I am wondering, is it possible to masterbate by rubbing the surrounding area of the head of the penis with your fingers (using lube), not touching or rubbing the area where the vien is? thought about it, it could work?

does orgasm affect limph channel inflammation?

No! You cannot find an alternate way to masturbate. You do not want to have ANY kind of use or handling of your penis except for urination, until the entire area has healed fully and been so for at least a week beyond when the obvious symptoms have resolved.

There's no "getting around" it. EVERYthing you do to your penis at this point is going to be an irritant and prolong or worsen the situation. Keep it in your pants, pee when you need to, and that's all you should think about your penis until this episode is over.

Orgasm doesn't affect your lymph system, but the process of getting there (genital stimulation) certainly does, so ANY form of masturbation should be considered abusive until your penis has healed.

vikvaughn replied to JPain07's response:
You don't really have the need to masturbate after a while at all, your body just shuts down. Mostly if your in pain. Anyway, I'm about 5 months in, and I'm nowhere near totally healed (if I ever will). Just revel in the fact your situation will resolve, at some point. And don't jerk it or it won't resolve, I know, I've had the sh-- for nearly a decade.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had prostate removed 5 yrs. I have had incontinence every since. I had colligen placed near my bladder two times.No luck. I had mesh sling surgicall...More

Helpful Tips

semen color
last few days i noticed that the color of my semen turned yellowish from white. is it a serious problem More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.