Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Prostatitis?
Atlantaguy posted:
I was diagnosed with prostatitis about 15 year's ago. After many months ( too many to count) it subsided. Since I was told I also have BPH I have always suffered with having to urinate often. I got used to it.
Under times of stress ( especially around visits to Urologist) I would get minor flare ups with discomfort when sitting and frequent urination. I am used to that and unlike the first time quality of life is not too bad..

The latest bout has me concerned. First week of July I had frequent urination and that uncomfortable feeling when sitting. It would come and go. I did have to urinate frequently which I attributed to some stressers in my life.

Well now it has somewhat subsided and now I don't get the urgent feeling to urinate anymore. When I do go the stream during the day is dimished. I am worried something else is going on here. Yes I do have aappointment with my urologist August 5 but being a worrier by nature I was hoping for some insight...different form of prostatitis? Different symptoms than normal for this?

Any help would be appreciated.

SAF

vikvaughn responded:
Hi
A diminished urine stream (and the others) is a pretty common symptom of prostatitis, and will be caused by myofascial trigger points in the pelvic muscles (generally in the 12'oclock area, if you don't understand all the better)
As is generally the case prostatitis is NOT caused by a bacterial infection in the prostate but by tight muscles in the pelvis.

I'm guessing since you're posting here that you are not a member over at chronicprostatitis.com, go there, pay the $20 admission to the forum and learn. Also pick up the book "A headache in the Pelvis" by Dr. David Wise.

If this is all new to you, that is great because your symptoms are relatively tame ( as much as it may not seem that way), and with a little effort and learning on your part you should be back to normal in possibly a few months. But this is a lifelong battle and stress plays a major key.

Atlantaguy replied to vikvaughn's response:
Thank you for your post. You have no idea how this makes me feel a little better mentally. I figured it had to do with stress and I will follow your suggestions. I realize that this is not a quick fix for this since I have been a lifelong sufferer.

Getting stress under control is a major struggle!

counterso replied to Atlantaguy's response:
Prostatitis refers to an infection of the prostate. If there is no infection present, it is something else with similar symptoms. I know the symptom similarity makes your concerns the same, but when it's a bacterial infection, the treatment is VERY important. You would not have prostatitis for 15 years. You could have it for many months, but to have an infection for years would be severely damaging to your body and immune system and extremely irresponsible of any doctor to allow to persist.

BPH on the other hand is frequently chronic, as are urinary symptoms in general

We know that anxiety/stress can very easily cause urinary symptoms, which you have personally noticed flaring up when your stress increases.

A pelvic flood disorder (PFD) that Vik mentions is NOT prostatitis, although symptoms may feel the same. Treatments are very different.

Your urologist may be initially dismissive of PFD, but you need to walk him through your history and insist upon resolution. PFD is usually treated with physical therapy, not drugs.

As far as BPH, that's a completely separate issue with overlapping symptoms. Treatments for BPH are completely unrelated to those for PFD and for anxiety.

vikvaughn replied to counterso's response:
Quercetin w/ bromelain as well as in mixtures with other ingredients is frequently used to treat both BPH and Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome/PFD/ Chronic nonbacterial prostatitis (all the same thing). You may actually resolve all your symptoms with just this one supplement. This supplement is a staple but may take a couple months to have effect.

counterso replied to vikvaughn's response:
SAF, do not allow the taking of supplements that might provide some health benefit to delay or entirely substitute for a doctor's care. And you should inform your doctor of the supplements you are taking. Most doctors should be aware of the benefits of specific supplementation, and if they are not, it is your right to ask them to find out and make the answers they find part of your care.

This is clearly not a problem you're going to solve without professional assistance. Do not delay in requesting help from a doctor. And if the first doctor does not have answers, get another.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had prostate removed 5 yrs. I have had incontinence every since. I had colligen placed near my bladder two times.No luck. I had mesh sling surgicall...More

Helpful Tips

What is this hard "vein" and swelling on my penis?
Veins in your penis will usually have a blue color, but sometimes you may have what looks like a "vein" appear that wasn't there before, ... More
Was this Helpful?
77 of 166 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.