Skip to content
Draining prostate?
JackThompson posted:
I am a 46 year old Male in good health.
A Physician Assistant I had seen awhile back had suggested to me that a man should ejaculate at least once a week, and drain his prostate through massage at least a couple of times a year, in order to decrease the chance of prostate cancer in the future.

This was for a physical, I do not have an urological issues.

The ejaculation once a week is not an issue, but I said no way I can give myself a prostate massage. He said you can accomplish nearly the same thing by bringing yourself nearly to orgasm/ejaculation and then stop--and the ejaculate will just kind of drain out without orgasm. Sure enough I did a couple of times, and there was definitely more ejaculate.

My questions are though:

Is this even proven in science to help eliminate prostate problems?

Does stopping right before orgasm and just letting ejaculate drain out injure yourself? Is it bad for the prostate, or will hurt your ability to orgasm or ejaculate in the future? Or even get an erection?

I am bit confused over this "prescription".

counterso responded:
This recommendation has no proof and is suspicious. It is based on an as yet unproven theory that if you use your prostate with some frequency that it will "flush" out potential stagnation in the organ. It assumes that there is something to stagnate that would be harmful if it did not move and create cancer. The FACT is that if you get old enough, every man will get prostate cancer. Probably everyone gets it now, but the body's normal apoptosis mechanisms get rid of small amounts of cancer all throughout the body. As you age, the errors in all body organs self-repair processes are simply more likely.

There's no real use-it-or-lose-it situation with the prostate. Could it be possible that ejaculation is healthier than none? Yes. Has it been proven? Not yet.

There is no reason to have a prostate massage. As you can imagine, the human race has survived for many millennia without this practice. There's nothing harmful about ejaculation in and of itself. There is certainly no specific benefit to stimulation without orgasm, as an orgasm will at least get the prostate pumping. What you don't want to do is clamp down to prevent ejaculation from escaping your penis. If you get there, let it go.

The Chinese would tell you that frequent ejaculation will age your body because the energy (chi) used in reproduction is drawn from your own limited reserve of chi. So, the more you ejaculate, the more rapidly you are aging your body. Not to say that you'll die from using up all your chi from sex, rather that you will age more quickly, grey hair sooner for example, as this finite chi used in reproduction can't be replaced like the chi you get from food and air.

Anyway, the point is that ejaculation to reduce prostate cancer risk is a theory. Perhaps a fun one if you enjoy masturbation, but otherwise still a theory, and not likely harmful at once a week. Sticking an object in your rectum for prostate massage has far more risks than masturbation.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had prostate removed 5 yrs. I have had incontinence every since. I had colligen placed near my bladder two times.No luck. I had mesh sling surgicall...More

Helpful Tips

Regarding erectile pain.
I was experiencing pain when I had erections. It was like a muscle strain sort of feeling. I was concerned until I figured out why I was ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.