Skip to content
Sclerosing lymphangitis
An_253230 posted:
Hello, I apologize for posting about something that already has some topics on it, however, I am hoping to find a little extra reassurance.

I am a 28 year old male and a little over a year ago, I noticed a small amount of inflammation on the right, underside of my penis (perhaps the size of a maggot). It occurred after some rough masturbation and seemed to contain fluid. It was and is, barely noticeable when not erect and only seems to become inflamed after masturbation.

After some research, sclerosing lymphangitis appeared to be the condition. However, my initial reading yielded what has appeared to be some bad advice, as I was led to believe that abstaining from masturbation does little to nothing to resolve the issue, and that it would simply go away on its own.

As such, for the better part of a year, I would simply masturbate more carefully. The inflammation would appear afterwards and look to be mostly gone by the next morning, never seeming to get any worse or different until one day when less lubrication led it to become about three times the size in its inflamed state.

It still reverted to its slightly noticeable state the next morning but I finally realized that the original advice I read was clearly incorrect.

I have since read that the most likely solution is to leave it alone for 4-6 weeks. However, I still have a few questions.

The first is: does my extended period of time (roughly 1 year) of continued masturbation dramatically change the recovery period? I am already assuming that the instance of increased inflammation does, but since the condition seemed to stay the same until then, I wonder if that period of time would still increase the recovery period even further.

Another question is: can you still do other things that just avoid that specific area of the penis? Or do you have to leave it alone entirely?

At present, I have abstained for a little over 5 weeks. Some times it appears to be gone and other times I can vaguely see it, so my last question is: does the area need to look 100% normal for it to be healed? And subsequently, if I thought it was healed and proceeded to masturbate, but it wasn't completely healed, would that mean I have to go through the entire recovery period again (or even longer)? Or would it simply need a few more weeks?

I realize these questions are probably impossible to answer over the internet, I am simply looking for some educated guesses and general information. Thank you.

vikvaughn responded:
You have to leave it alone entirely for it to heal (and for a time after it's seems healed to make sure), and it may take quite a while as in many months, and that's the only for sure answers that can be given. As long as you're sure it's sclerosing lymphangitis.

As you already know there's little information on the net about this and much of it is dead wrong. Like sex/masturbation and handling won't make it worse. More than a few people and even doctors are saying to press on it to "drain" it, stupid advice which will only make it more inflamed. I did this and it made my situation exponentially worse than it ever was and I had it for probably a decade.

Don't touch it till it's healed is the take home message.

counterso replied to vikvaughn's response:
Vik is correct. There is no cheating on this one. Leave the whole thing alone for at least a week beyond any sign the condition still exists. (sorry for the delay in response, I'm still out of the country vacationing until the end of the month)

There is no accurate way to predict how long it will take to heal or if you reinjure the area how much of a setback that will be. THerefore, the best course is to wait it out fully the first time.

An_253230 replied to counterso's response:
Thank you both for the responses. I am very appreciative.

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am a 25 year old male and i have alot of medical problems.To start with i have rhumatoid arthritis, bulging discs and degenerative disc disease in m...More

Helpful Tips

What is this hard "vein" and swelling on my penis?
Veins in your penis will usually have a blue color, but sometimes you may have what looks like a "vein" appear that wasn't there before, ... More
Was this Helpful?
83 of 172 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.