Skip to content
need help!
An_253664 posted:
Hi, I'm a 15 year old male. In about November of 2012 this problem started. I would go to the bathroom, but when I was finished, I felt like I still had to go. I ignored this (thinking it would go away) until May when new symptoms started. these symptoms were constipation and burning when I was going to the bathroom. I went to the doctor and they took a dip and culture test, but found nothing. my doctor sent me to the urologist. I told them what has been happening and they said that it could all be from constipation. they told me to use miralax for a month and they'll call back in a month (which would've been like September 1st) to check on me. we never knew if they called back because they called with a different number and didn't leave a message. we eventually called back and I have an appointment September 24. New symptoms have surfaced, sadly. I get nauseous easily now. Also I like to get frappichinos from Starbucks or McDonalds. every time I have one now, my stomach aches all day and I throw up every time I have one. Plus, my left rib is super uncomfortable and has a little bump somewhere on it. starting yesterday, I've had a hard time breathing(maybe because of the bump?) I forgot to mention I get random pains in my pelvic region.
does anyone know what may be occurring? is this urgent? Is it safe to be waiting until my appointment in a few days, or should I go to urgent care? If anyone has anything that can help me it would be immensely appreciated. I'm very scared right now and I don't know what move to make.
(Reposting from a different topic)

vikvaughn responded:
Well I guess it's your doctors appointment today. If I were having a hard time breathing I'd say that's urgent enough. Sounds like your having a few separate issues.

What did the doctor have to say?

counterso responded:
Yes it is urgent. Your parents should be doing a much better job with follow up to make sure you are getting proper care. A change in diet (more fiber and water) would deal with most constipation issues, and the GP/internist should have been able to diagnose that as the problem if it were the case.

The nausea is likely a separate issue, not urology related. First, stop drinking those drinks.

Several of these symptoms (other than the bump) could be anxiety related. They could also be something completely different. I would return to the internist promptly, even urgent care because of the vomiting reaction. There are so many things to sort through here that aren't incredibly specific, it is going to take your doctor to ask the right questions to narrow down the possibilities of what's going on.

We can't offer medical advice here, but don't let your doctor or your parents be dismissive. This is serious business and is not okay to let go for days or weeks at a time. One more thing to keep in mind is that unless an actual infection has been found, it's very bad to take an antibiotic just because it "might" help. Insist that you find a real cause before they just throw antibiotics at it to see if it makes any difference.

Good luck, and shame on parents for not being more concerned.

jojo384 replied to vikvaughn's response:
My urologist said to keep using miralax (just to use less everyday) and pick 2 days a week to do this bowel clean out. I went back to my primary doctor and he said that he can't figure out what's wrong. I'm a "mystery." He couldn't tell that there was even a lump but he was still concerned about it. I went to get x-ray's today but they found nothing unusual.

An_253664 replied to counterso's response:
Thank you for the helpful reply! My parents care about my problem, trust me. It's just that this kinda stuff were not used to happen to me. I've definitely stopped with the drinks. I drink at least 7 bottles of water a day. I still need to try more fiber though. I told my doctor everything and he thought really long and hard about it. He doesn't know exactly what's wrong. He did ask about anxiety, but I never get anxious. I enjoy going to school and I have no stress. He told me to keep track of my nausea or vomiting since it seems random. I went for X-rays for the rib lump just In case, but they found nothing. At this point, I'll just have to hope that the urologist is right about this bowel clean out and miralax. I asked my urologist if the uncomfortable feeling in my rib could be from constipation. I don't know if I believe her, but it's all I can go by. I don't know what to do next. I'm trapped at this point. I don't want to do a bunch of useless tests, though this is serious. I'll be sure to update this discussion with any information as to what's happening. I might be trying a different doctor to see what they think it could be. I agree that it is most likely to different issues. It's just hard to determine what those issues are. Thank you so much for the reply.

An_253664 replied to counterso's response:
Also my doctor told me that he doesn't see anything that "raises a red flag." I don't think any if my doctors understand how annoyed and done I am with what's happening. I went to urgent care for my x-ray and I will be going back soon probably. They were very nice and caring there. Hoping they find what's wrong.

counterso replied to An_253664's response:
I'm glad to hear the doctors are being nice about it. One thing you can do is keep a food journal. Just write down in a little notebook everything you eat/drink and the time. Then mark anytime you have a symptom. It might be something unexpected related to a particular food that you're suddenly allergic to.

The other thing, although this isn't very likely, is that there's a parasite causing problems, and many doctors don't think to look for such unless you've been traveling out of the country. Still happens from time to time, but there are some similarities in symptoms.

I'm glad you're not anxious. And especially glad that your parents are concerned. On your own, I would suggest you don't let things drag on for long before urging more action from the doctor(s). No reason they shouldn't be able to figure this out. If you're not getting anywhere with the regular doctors, you might suggest to your parents that you see a naturopathic doc or have some kinesiology testing to see if a quicker determination can be made about the cause. Actually the last one there (kinesiology) is something you could do right away to try and find the cause. It's just muscle testing, so not unpleasant in any way. Need an experienced applied kinesiology person though.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had prostate removed 5 yrs. I have had incontinence every since. I had colligen placed near my bladder two times.No luck. I had mesh sling surgicall...More

Helpful Tips

What is this hard "vein" and swelling on my penis?
Veins in your penis will usually have a blue color, but sometimes you may have what looks like a "vein" appear that wasn't there before, ... More
Was this Helpful?
83 of 172 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.