Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Penis pain
An_253843 posted:
Hello, I've woken up twice now with an erection that won't go away the first lasted about 2-3 hours and only went away because I iced my croch area. The second which was a week later lasted 3 hours and also went down after ice. It hurts and is very sensitive when is is erect and hurts near the center. What is wrong with me I am worried.

vikvaughn responded:
A painful erection that won't go away is called priapism.I would go see a urologist about that immediately. As well I don't think you should be holding ice on your penis. It probably hurts because there is no oxygenated blood getting in, though I'm no doctor. Does it even hurt after an extended period after the erection has gone away?
As well I would stay away from sex/masturbation....it might happen then too.

If this happened again within the time it takes to get an appointment, which should be immediately, I would be going straight to the Emergency Room.
Priapism can cause long term damage, fibrosis, ED if left for long enough, and just because the erection lasted for 2-3 hours when you were awake doesn't mean it wasn't already hard for a while before you woke up. Google it. It can have an underlying cause.

counterso replied to vikvaughn's response:
It is not safe to put ice on your crotch, Vik is correct. Any erection that is painful is an emergency and you need to see a urologist immediately. That's both for when you have a lasting erection, and if your erection is at all painful even for a short duration.

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am a 25 year old male and i have alot of medical problems.To start with i have rhumatoid arthritis, bulging discs and degenerative disc disease in m...More

Helpful Tips

semen color
last few days i noticed that the color of my semen turned yellowish from white. is it a serious problem More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.