Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Penis pain
    An_253843 posted:
    Hello, I've woken up twice now with an erection that won't go away the first lasted about 2-3 hours and only went away because I iced my croch area. The second which was a week later lasted 3 hours and also went down after ice. It hurts and is very sensitive when is is erect and hurts near the center. What is wrong with me I am worried.
    vikvaughn responded:
    A painful erection that won't go away is called priapism.I would go see a urologist about that immediately. As well I don't think you should be holding ice on your penis. It probably hurts because there is no oxygenated blood getting in, though I'm no doctor. Does it even hurt after an extended period after the erection has gone away?
    As well I would stay away from sex/ might happen then too.

    If this happened again within the time it takes to get an appointment, which should be immediately, I would be going straight to the Emergency Room.
    Priapism can cause long term damage, fibrosis, ED if left for long enough, and just because the erection lasted for 2-3 hours when you were awake doesn't mean it wasn't already hard for a while before you woke up. Google it. It can have an underlying cause.

    counterso replied to vikvaughn's response:
    It is not safe to put ice on your crotch, Vik is correct. Any erection that is painful is an emergency and you need to see a urologist immediately. That's both for when you have a lasting erection, and if your erection is at all painful even for a short duration.

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    65 years young and just trying to do the right thing. At my age I just can't afford any mistakes.

    Helpful Tips

    Pain in Manhood
    I been to hospitals and clinics for the treatment and said Gonorrhea and just the last one i have visited said Urethritis. I have been ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.