Skip to content
Hard blood vessel on penis - please help!
mike_1974 posted:
had some rougher than usual sex with a girl ive been dating. ever since i noticed that there is a strange bulge of a blood vessel or muscle just below the rim of my head on my penis. if im erect and touch it it feels different then what im used to. i can also feel it when im flaccid. there is no pain or swelling or anything like that, it just feels like a large thick hard vein. i have experienced this a bit in the past but it usually goes away. this time its not- any idea what this is? its about 1 inch long and runs laterally just below the rim of my head. im supposed to see my GF in a few days and I dont know if its dangerous to have sex. would appreciate some feedback. thanks
FirstPrevious12NextLast

counterso responded:
Yes, you cannot have sex for several weeks. Please read the following thread that discusses this condition at great length. http://forums.webmd.com/3/urology/tip/1/259

mike_1974 replied to counterso's response:
I dont think thats going to be possible. Its a new relationship and I already have plans for a romantic getaway this weekend that ive been planning for a while. Can I have gentle sex?

counterso replied to mike_1974's response:
ABSOLUTELY NOT!

You can please your partner in lots of other ways, but your penis is completely off-limits. You wouldn't ask if you could go ice skating if you had just sprained your ankle. You cannot use your penis or you will make it much worse.

Are you a Dr?

counterso replied to mike_1974's response:
No, there are no doctors monitoring the Urology Exchange on WebMD. I am a nationally board-certified healthcare professional, but not a doctor. And if you do not follow my instructions, you will further injure your penis.

Your partner needs to understand that your activities have resulted in an injury, and you cannot be expected to make your condition worse by using your penis. That's no masturbation and no sex until at least a week after it has fully healed. That may be anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months. If you experienced this in the past, you probably have been re-injuring yourself and restarting the issue over and over, now to the point where it's more dramatic than before.

There is a lymph channel that encircles most of the corona (head) of your penis, and when it is inflamed, it is very reactive to further irritation, to the point where it can become persistently painful. There's no being delicate with it to try and avoid the affected area, such as the idea to masturbate gently, or just rub the lower shaft to avoid the swelling. It's all connected.

There are no muscles in your penis. The lymph channels follow along side the blood vessels on the surface of your penis but don't have a color, but if they swell, can push the blood vessels up under the skin so it looks like the vessels are inflamed. The prominence is even more when you have an erection, but you don't have to avoid spontaneous erections (or holding your penis to urinate), you just don't want to stimulate the area on purpose.

Chronic or repeated inflammation can cause long-term issues, so you want this to resolve FULLY before considering any use of your penis. If you interrupt the healing process, you go back to square one.

Thanks for the info! This happened in the past but was temporary and pretty much settled down after a few hrs after sex. I will let this heal but what if it comes back again? then its weeks to months without sex again, over and over again indefinitely? i cant live like that so there has to be a compromise.

mike_1974 replied to mike_1974's response:
Also- i read that the enlarged vessel is the result of a blockage. do you advise massaging the vessel to help break up the blockage? also hot baths or icing recommended?

vikvaughn replied to mike_1974's response:
For the love of christ and all that is holy DO NOT MASSAGE OR MESS WITH THE VESSEL. read the thread under this one "what is this vein...."

all questions you may have are answered there.

My dick is pretty well ruined because I read that crap you read about massaging/pressing on it. And did it.

vikvaughn replied to vikvaughn's response:
In response to your previous post.
The only thing compromised will be your dick......

mike_1974 replied to vikvaughn's response:
How is your dick ruined?

mike_1974 replied to mike_1974's response:
so what do you suggest I do? I just started a relationship. how am i supposed to go months without sex and no erections? I get an erection every time im near my girlfriend. so what are you saying...just break up with her and sit in my apt all winter by myself?

vikvaughn replied to mike_1974's response:
We are both just trying to help you mike, but you get no more from me.....

mike_1974 replied to vikvaughn's response:
youre not helping- you are voicing your own opinions. ive read other posts in forums where people said they healed on their own even with regular erections, masturbation and sex

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am a 25 year old male and i have alot of medical problems.To start with i have rhumatoid arthritis, bulging discs and degenerative disc disease in m...More

Helpful Tips

Skin burning in my left waist area at belt level
Does any professional know about a condition with symptoms of skin burning in my left waist area at pants belt level? I have had this for ... More
Was this Helpful?
43 of 64 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.