Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
hernia surgery
An_254449 posted:
My husband had inguinal hernia surgery a week ago. I really do not like the center he had it done at, they shaved him from the top of his penis to his belly button, across the pubic area on the side the hernia was not on, down his testicle and penis and into the cheek of his butt on the hernia side. Is this necessary prep for the surgery the incision is only 2 inches long on the hernia side. I can see that shave, but the rest?

counterso responded:
Yes, it is important to shave the patient to make sure no hair is present in any area that MIGHT become involved in the surgery in case of complications. They can't stop in the middle of surgery to close the open skin, shave another area they need to cut into, and then start surgery again.

Hair is going to grow back quickly, and should not be a concern. When it becomes itchy, use some talcum powder to do the job.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had prostate removed 5 yrs. I have had incontinence every since. I had colligen placed near my bladder two times.No luck. I had mesh sling surgicall...More

Helpful Tips

Skin burning in my left waist area at belt level
Does any professional know about a condition with symptoms of skin burning in my left waist area at pants belt level? I have had this for ... More
Was this Helpful?
43 of 64 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.