Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
High T Levels
mfc1944 posted:
I have been taking testosterone injections for about 6 years following a prostate surgery and infection. I have never had a problem with my testosterone blood test; all have been normal...until now.
The results are twice normal.
The only difference I can think of that might have caused this is 2 months of steroid injections in my back for pain.
Could these injections have affected my blood test or kicked up my testosterone?

counterso responded:
Anytime you are receiving hormone therapy, your doctor should be conducting MONTHLY tests to make sure the hormone balance is staying within acceptable parameters.
A blood test however is an overall medical failure as far as I'm concerned. A saliva test is both easier, can be initiated at home, and is THREE times more accurate.
Whomever was treating you for pain should have been made aware of your hormone therapy. And it should also have been caught if a problem, within those two months of steroids by your needed monthly check on hormonal balance.
I don't know what condition you had surgically treated in your prostate, but there are many contraindications for hormone therapy with specific prostate health concerns.
There's not enough information here to assess the root cause of the imbalance. And clearly the doctor doing testosterone injections isn't doing their job properly if they're monitoring you with blood tests.

vikvaughn responded:
Just a slight possibility:
Do you always take the tests the same amount of time after your injections, and how often do you inject? If say, you inject every two weeks(like most no-nothing doctors put people on), if you took the test the day or two after, your levels would be jacked that high or higher. This is something I have personally experienced, until I started injecting every couple days, which helps with keeping aromatization low as well.

Either way, Counterso is right in that most doctors that give hormone therapy don't know the first thing about it and I'm sure you can find a better doctor, though there are only a handful you really want. My situation got much better after I did the same.
Ask your original question at:

http://www.allthingsmale.com/forum/forum.php

Not to jack the thread but there is definite disagreement on salivary androgen testing. some pretty important people (my doctor included)in the hormone replacement field feel that the only thing saliva is good for testing is adrenal hormones Are you saying 3 times more accurate because it's giving snapshots throughout the day???.

Serum Total Test, with Free Test. is useful. 24 hour Urine panel is definitely best, if the doctor can read it.
http://www.rheinlabs.com/hp.html

counterso replied to vikvaughn's response:
I'm saying saliva testing is more accurate for testosterone because it measures free T, not just total T. The serum test only measures total T, so there is a lack of a reference point to interpret that single number.

A comprehensive hormone test includes both serum and saliva components. Only some hormones have a significant shift through the day (like Cortisol), which are the ones that would be collected at multiple intervals (4-6) when you use a comprehensive kit. Testosterone is not one of those that needs to be measured at different times of day. Many hormones are fine to read in serum only because the desired information is available and definitive that way. If a saliva test is available for a particular hormone, it is most likely that there are additional factors that makes this data important.

Example listing of tests:
http://www.zrtlab.com/standard-tests

vikvaughn replied to counterso's response:
You may find this interesting, unfortunately the one link won't open.

http://www.allthingsmale.com/forum/showthread.php?1209-Salivary-testosterone-linked-to-conversion-from-androstenedione&highlight=saliva testosterone

counterso replied to vikvaughn's response:
Vik, a saliva test includes a blood spot, it is not done alone. Sorry if I implied that it was one or the other. I was railing against blood spot alone, saying that you needed the accompanying saliva test to have a cross-reference.

Spotlight: Member Stories

65 years young and just trying to do the right thing. At my age I just can't afford any mistakes.

Helpful Tips

optimizing testosterone therapy
The following is my opinion and observations ONLY based on over 15 years of testosterone therapy. It's a life-long constant ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.