Skip to content
Post-Vasectomy Semen Test & high # of Ejaculations in a short time span for the "All-Clear"
An_254600 posted:
I understand that post-vasectomy you should get a semen test in 2-3 months and after anywhere from 10-40 ejaculations to be sure you are clear before you have unprotected sex. My question is this: If a person were to have, say, 5 ejaculations a day (whether via masturbation or with a partner shouldn't matter) for 2 weeks (14 days) - for a total of around 70 or more ejaculations, would their semen test likely show all-clear at that point? ...or is there a time element involved with semen dying off that are currently "in the chamber?" I realize that the 2-3 months and 10-40 ejaculations are just guidelines and for some it could take 6+ months....but I'm curious if there has been research or tests that show that a man that has had a vasectomy that ejaculates a LOT - 5+ times a day - would most likely be clear after a week or two of such "frenzied" activity....? [This is after the initial week of NO activity post vasectomy, as it is prudent to hold off on ejaculations for about 7 days after the procedure.> Thanks!

counterso responded:
Because sperm take just under 3 months to mature, the 3 month re-test is the interval set. If you aren't "clearing the chamber" as you say, then you may be storing viable sperm for some period of days.

Masturbating 5x/day will not speed up the process. You would run out of sperm, but not semen, on a normal day and create a false reading of absence. You will still need to wait the 3 months to check the development cycle.

Ejaculating 1-3 times per week for 3 months is normal human behavior. That's where that number comes from. It's not like you've stacked marbles in a chute. Sperm development and ejaculatory processes don't work like that.

Refraining from sexual stimulation after surgery is more about safety and pain than function.

Spotlight: Member Stories

65 years young and just trying to do the right thing. At my age I just can't afford any mistakes.

Helpful Tips

What is this hard "vein" and swelling on my penis?
Veins in your penis will usually have a blue color, but sometimes you may have what looks like a "vein" appear that wasn't there before, ... More
Was this Helpful?
83 of 172 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.