Skip to content
Post Void Dribbling and Necessity of Urodynamic study
An_254611 posted:
For the last 2 years, I have had some post void dribbling. I have had no other consistent symptoms of incontintence. About a year ago, I went to a urologist who conduced a bladder ultrasound and urinalysis. I had no infection and the ultrasound showed no urine retention. I was taught milking techniques by my GP internist. The milking techniques have been helpful in expressing urine. Nevertheless, in some circumstances, I still have post void dribbling. Very occasionally (after using the milking techniques) the post void dribble soaks to my trousers. Overall, I am in very good health otherwise and I am perfectly willing to live with the occasional dribbling I have after milking techniques are used.

During my annual physical, I mentioned to my doctor that the milking techniques are generally helpful, although I still have occassional post void dribbling and that I can certainly live with things as they stand now. I have no other incontinence symptoms. Nevertheless, my internist said she thinks it would be a good idea for me to go back to the urologist for a urodynamics study. After reading about this procedure, it seems like the cost of such a study ( I have a high insurance deductible) , as well as the invasive nature of this study seems overkill for a problem I am perfectly comfortable living with at this moment. If anyone has input on whether I should talk to my internist about pushing off the testing a bit, please let me know. I am willing to have such tests if my symptoms become worse but it seems a bit much now. Thanks in advance.

bc1682 responded:
One fact I forgot to mention. I am 38 years old and my doctor thinks I am somewhat young for enlarged prostate issues.

Thanks again in advance for any advice.

counterso replied to bc1682's response:
If your doctor hasn't examined your prostate, they have no business suggesting that it is involved in your symptoms.

Post-void dribbling is most commonly caused by poor urination habits. That would be creating a u-bend or allowing pressure from clothing on your penis while urinating. Then stopping the flow by clenching is the second problem.

As an experiment, you can try either sitting to urinate, and no clenching of your muscles to end flow, or the same standing with your pants fully open.

Dependence on milking is leaning towards evidence that it is an impeded flow (by bend or muscle action) that fools your nerves into thinking you're done, and then when you relax, the last bit comes out.

If anything to stop flow, you should be bearing down a little bit like you're trying to push out a bowel movement, not clenching to tighten up.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Diagnosed with BXO (balanitis xerotica obliterans) in May 2011. I had a very sever case and had 4 surgeries and was in the hospital for 4 weeks.

Helpful Tips

What is this hard "vein" and swelling on my penis?
Veins in your penis will usually have a blue color, but sometimes you may have what looks like a "vein" appear that wasn't there before, ... More
Was this Helpful?
83 of 172 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.