Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
sharp pain while urinating
richie4 posted:
Hi, I am a 24 year old male, I am in good health (to the best of my knowledge). For the last 48 hours I have a sharp pain/soreness (pretty painful) on the inside of the tip of my penis. It only happens when I start to pee, after about 3 seconds the rest of my urination is pain free. However, it does feel a little sore after but only on the inside. Also, I notice the opening of my penis seems to be swollen on the inside, I know this because usually it is more open. There is no redness, discharge, or any sort of external pain nor visible symptoms.

I am sexually active, I have been with the same girl for about 6 months. I know it is possible I have an std but I find it unlikely, I was tested 1 year ago. I have a bad habit of forcefully preventing myself from ejaculating, I do not put my finger on the tip or squeeze it in any way but I wait until I'm about to ejaculate and I just stop. I do this to prolong sexual activities, I don't plan to continue. I don't believe I premature ejaculate because I can last 10-15 minutes without "holding back". I hold back very often about 5 times week. Can this cause any harm?Two nights ago I was having sex and I held back to the point were it hurt, not very bad but a decent pain. Than my partner was tired and she gave me oral, she applied a lot of pressure on the tip and when I ejaculate it was long and in a few squirts, I think. It was unusual and when we were done I was very sore.

Also, when I was in the shower if I allowed water to enter it hurt, the same way it does when I urinate. I have been applying a+d ointment for 24 hours, it really doesn't help.

What could cause this pain be other then a uti or std, I know they are possible I just do not think that's the case. How long should I wait before seeing a doctor, my father says wait 5 days. I'm worried this will last a while or I could have caused significant trauma to the inside of the tip of my penis. Please tell me what you think and if "holding back" can cause health issues

thanks

counterso responded:
Yes, if when you're holding back you are doing so by any physical pressure whether by your hand or clenching. The same thing with holding back the urge to urinate. There are some delicate valves that can get torn (and never fixed) if there is a buildup of fluid pressure, which can result in ejaculations that dribble instead of shoot. Anything that hurts IS doing damage. The way to last longer is to stop stimulation entirely, or go slower. But not to force it by clenching or sitting on a foot or grabbing with your hand.

An STD test from a year ago tells you absolutely nothing about your status today.

A D ointment is not for your condition. It's extremely unlikely you have a UTI unless you have been inserting something into your urethra.

Your father is wrong. There is no acceptable amount of pain in your penis. A quick STD test will take you all of 10 minutes including waiting in line at the clinic. And if you're sexually active you should be having this done every 6 months anyway.

As far as anything other than an STD, only a urologist is going to have enough experiences with penises to tell you what is going on, as your GP would rather never see a penis and doesn't spend any more time than learning to recognize a few STDs.

That said, no sex or masturbation until your penis has been fully healed for 7 days. If it takes 5 days to look and feel normal, you need to wait 12 days before you resume having sex.

Most likely your partner applied too much pressure and you have injured the soft tissue or gotten a small tear inside or outside, and it will take some time to heal. While you may enjoy using your penis like a hammer, it is not made of steel, and you and your partner need to be gentle with it. It will break with lack of carefulness.

You do not have a premature ejaculation issue. The definition is the complete inability to last 2 minutes. The average amount of time for (non-aggressive) penetrative sex is between 5-7 minutes. Most women (over 80%) report that they do not enjoy penetration that lasts 10 minutes or more. The rest of the time they prefer something else.

So, your father is wrong. Get your STD test today. No sex or masturbation until a full week after you're experiencing no more symptoms (sorry, likely it's from being too rough). And by the time your test results are back and you've been refraining, you ought to be feeling better. No medication unless an actual STD is detected.

On a side note, never trust your partner's report of their STD results unless you are present for the report being read. All clinics will tell you that 75% of people who test positive for an STD lie about it to their partner.

I still don't think that's your issue in this circumstance, but you should still be responsible and get tested every 6 months.

richie4 replied to counterso's response:
Thanks for the reply. I went to the Urologist the next day, he said I had a minor bacterial infection only in the tip of my urethra (not a uti according to him) and gave me Doxycycline 100 mg. 36 hours after taking the antibiotic I felt much better, I finished the bottle and know I am back to normal. He said he doubts that I teared anything and he really does not think I have an STD. He tested for UTI, chlamydia, and gonorrhea, they all came back negative. He said he did not see it medically necessary to take my blood and if i wanted further STD test to to my regular doctor (I guess because of health care cost?). Two days later I had strep throat and so i got a full STI blood test but my results don't come back for two weeks. I do not know where i can get free reliable results in 10 minutes but i can wait because i have no symptoms. And these visits my insurance covers completely so I take advantage of that.

I did not listen to your advice (I didn't even check webmd), but I had sex during the minor pain at the end of the week. It was painless and I guess I am just not going to hold back anymore. The Urologist said holding back is not dangerous as long as I do not use my hand or a clamp etc... However, I do not believe him and I am just going to let nature take it course whether its 2 minutes or 30 minutes.

Thank you

I have one more question to ask you. What is a healthy amount of times a man should ejaculate per week, day, or month? I have noticed if i ejaculate to much my penis feels worn out or even depleted. However, I still have the urge to ejaculate again especially if my partner is around. I have tried to research this question but I find contradicting answers. I should have asked the urologist but I forgot, I was more concerned with feeling better.

As you get older should you ejaculate less often? Can to much ejaculation cause you to be tired through out thew day or any other symptoms? Can you ejaculate too often and cause any health risks? short or long term?

Thanks

counterso replied to richie4's response:
There are many opinions on the subject, and you'll find a wide variance among them. Remember that your body doesn't recognize the difference between sex for procreation versus sex for fun. The function is for procreation, and there are a lot of your own resources that go into the procreation process, so frequent ejaculation can deplete resources. You notice this less when you're young and vital, and you notice it more as you get older and are less vital. Your body was built to procreate in your teens.

From a Western perspective, you'll most likely hear that your body was physically built to fully recover for procreative purposes around 3 times a week.

From an Eastern perspective, the energy used in procreation comes from a finite reserve, basically giving some of your life force to start another. So each time you ejaculate, you spend some of this limited reserve. There is even a schedule of how often is 'safe' to live to a ripe old age. It describes the 5 different kinds of Qi, and factors in what you do to supplement the Qi you use to function as a living person, versus the limited supply that you burn when you aren't taking in enough Qi from eating, breathing, and other Qi building exercises.

You'll certainly find people who seemingly do fine ejaculating every single day. And you'll find others where once a week seems to be noticeably weakening. Some of that could be that their limited reserve of original Qi started with more or less. Or it could be that they just don't take care of themselves and sex just wears them out, since it consumes resources.

At your age, you should still be able to handle 2-3 times a week.

And yes, even without the Eastern theories, frequent ejaculation will tire you out because it is consuming important minerals and resources in your body (just like any kind of stressor), leaving you a little depleted.

Specific health risks, no, except you might injure your penis from overuse. It's not built to take a beating, despite what many men think. It is meant to endure <20 minutes of moderate, lubricated activity 2-3 times a week, even though many people get a lot more use in. From an Eastern perspective, every ejaculation takes days off your lifespan. This is in part why the Tantra was developed, to experience sexual pleasure without orgasm, and conserve vital energy.

That's probably more than you were anticipating as an answer, but since I'm familiar with both points of view, I'm sharing.

You are extremely knowledgeable. That's much more information than I have found on my own and it helps understand the info I did find.

For argument sake, my problem went away in about 6 days and I am back to normal. Thankfully blood work showed negative for all sti's. Also, the urologist said it was not a uti it was a minor bacterial infection only in the tip of my urethra. He said it's rare for someone my age to have that but it does occur. I did need an antibiotic make it pass.

Thank you for your complex responses, I am sure I am not the only mind you put at ease. And thanks for teaching people, seemingly as good as one can on this form.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Diagnosed with BXO (balanitis xerotica obliterans) in May 2011. I had a very sever case and had 4 surgeries and was in the hospital for 4 weeks.

Helpful Tips

Skin burning in my left waist area at belt level
Does any professional know about a condition with symptoms of skin burning in my left waist area at pants belt level? I have had this for ... More
Was this Helpful?
43 of 64 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.