Skip to content
Trouble emptying bladder
electricpotato posted:
For the last several months I've had this going on.
I pee before going to bed, lie down, 5 minutes later I need to go again.
Get up, pee, go back to bed, 10 minutes later the urge hits me again.

Sometimes I wake up a couple hours later and have to go again. Sometimes I sleep through the night.

My doctor checked my prostate and said it was normal.
She recommended reducing my night time fluids, which makes sense but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

It's not an awful condition, just annoying. I'm 48.

I'd be happy to try some herbal supplements if there are any recommendations. I thought I had heard once that milk thistle might help this condition but googling, that doesn't seem to be on the list of it's uses.

electricpotato responded:
Edit: I think I'm thinking of Saw Palmetto. May give that a try.

counterso replied to electricpotato's response:
Hello Electric,

The symptoms of urinary urgency and frequency are commonly associated with BPH (enlarged prostate), which is why your doctor checked that. Not being the case, there are many other potential causes including many kinds of anxiety/stress, muscle weakness, and many other possible reasons.

Interrupted sleep is a serious condition. The anxiety over having to keep returning to the bathroom amplifies the symptom.

For saw palmetto, you need to take a sufficient dosage for about 8 weeks for the plant sterols to build up in your system enough to provide benefit. You will know after 2 months of continuous use if you're one of the 50% of men who find symptom relief this way. However, buying a saw palmetto product at the drug store is likely wasteful. Most of the products on the shelf don't contain or randomly contain enough of the plant sterols to provide benefit. So, you want to find one that is certified for content to contain the right amount. Check out a company called Theralogix who certifies all of their products for content accuracy.

The other substance to show benefit with urinary symptoms is beta-sitosterol. Again, getting the right amount and taking for a sufficient period of time are important.

Milk thistle has nothing to do with urinary symptoms.

If you do not find an improvement after 2 months of saw palmetto, see a urologist. Your GP will not be able to help you. There are three drugs to try next.

counterso replied to counterso's response:
All of that said, if you think the suggestion that there may be a new source of anxiety/stress in your life, such as a work or family change, moving to a new location, or even generalized anxiety, try addressing the source of stress first. Stress is probably the biggest untreated cause of urinary symptoms, and removing stressors is much more effective than drug treatment.

electricpotato replied to counterso's response:
I apologize for not responding to your suggestions earlier.
I don't believe I'm stressed. I mean, who isn't? But no additional stress in my life.
I continue to have problems off and on. I saw my PCP two weeks ago and told them I'd like a referral to a urologist. He said he'd like to try me on flowmax first. So, I've been on flowmax for a couple of weeks and honestly I don't see much difference, if any...maybe just a slightly stronger stream.

But, I have an idea of what might be causing it and... it's really kind of embarrassing. But hey, we're all men here and I'm kind of anonymous.
I'm beginning to think it's due to excessive masturbation. My wife goes to bed before me and I have a good bit of time to kill before sleeping and sometimes I just need that to fall asleep. So I usually take my time with it - maybe even go for an hour. It seems like after these times is when I have the worst problems.
I haven't had much of problem peeing in the last couple of weeks but haven't noticed that the flowmax has contributed to that - I still dribble a bit when I pee. But last night I took care of business, fell asleep about midnight, woke up about 1:30, had to pee and was up and down all night long 'til at least 4 something. So needless to say, I'm very tired today.
But when I would get that urge to pee, it's hard to tell, but it would feel like maybe the urethra is swollen from an excessive workout, and not letting the urine flow freely. I would get up, pee, lie back down and then I could feel it again in anywhere from 5 minutes to 15 minutes, feeling like urine was slowly building up, ready to be released. I'd get up, have a few sprinkles and go back to bed. All night long.

A google search of "excessive masturbation problems urinating" doesn't give me a hit on my exact symptoms but I'm really leaning towards that being the main contributor just because the timing seems about right.
I do seem to have that issue urinating just after I overdo it a bit, and/or masturbate at least 2-days in a row.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Is my theory possible? I know I can refrain and find out - but man, that would be tough. Like I said, sometimes that's the only way I can get to sleep, and sometimes you just have that urge. But ironically, if that is it, sometimes that's what's keeping me awake. I need more self control for this experiment.

counterso replied to electricpotato's response:
Penises aren't built for the kind of irritation an hour-long masturbation session induces, particularly if you're doing it dry or if you have a strong grip.

The simple irritation of the tip of your penis could create lasting nerve sensations that falsely read as the urge to urinate for hours or days.

You definitely need a different hobby and a new technique.

electricpotato replied to counterso's response:
[quote>You definitely need a different hobby and a new technique.[/quote>
Yes, I agree. Thanks for your advice. I'll see where this takes me.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had prostate removed 5 yrs. I have had incontinence every since. I had colligen placed near my bladder two times.No luck. I had mesh sling surgicall...More

Helpful Tips

What is this hard "vein" and swelling on my penis?
Veins in your penis will usually have a blue color, but sometimes you may have what looks like a "vein" appear that wasn't there before, ... More
Was this Helpful?
83 of 172 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.