Skip to content
HERNIA OR HYPER ACTIVE CREMASTER MUSCLE PLEASE HELP
vanzandt85 posted:
For the past few years my left testicle has been erratic becoming very taught and contracting sometimes completely disappearing into my body in the pelvic region. For a man this can be a very embarrassing problem so for years I wrote it off and dealt with it. Shortly into my third year with this problem I decided to swallow my pride and seek medical attention as It can be very painful cause nausea and supposedly infertility.
I was diagnosed me with a hyper active cremaster muscle And was told and I quote "there was nothing that could be done with it and I would have to live with it" and basically shooed me from the office. As time passed it progressively worsened and continues to do so. Now it never relaxes and is more frequent in its "disappearing act". This problem has become the bane of my existence. It affects literally everything I do work, exercise, sitting, standing, my sex life, even when laying down trying to relax it kills me my quality of life has decreased dramatically and is really starting to take a toll on my morale.
I have been to the doctor twice for it (this doctor is a whole other story accusing me of "doctor shopping" when I have no history of ever receiving pain medication). And ive even told him I dont want medication I want a FIX. Quite honestly if it cant be fixed itll be the hardest thing ive ever had to do but im ready for them to remove my testicle. I know that may be hard to find a surgeon to do so but please believe me when I tell you im at my wits end ive been dealing with it for years and can no longer take it. Even if it is just a hyper active cremaster muscle their are procedures that can be performed. However my gut is telling me it is a hernia that perhaps was never tended to I used to do alot of heavy lifting.
Any advice will be treasured especially a referral to good clinic I am ready to travel anywhere in the country. Thank you so much for your time and God Bless.

vikvaughn responded:
Hi Vanzandt,
I am not a doctor, but before you go to the extent or surgery or anything like that, I would urge you to look into: Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome (CPPS), Pelvic Myoneuropathy, Trigger point therapy etc.
There is a possibility of a simple fix for your symptoms as intense as they seem. At least the pain symptoms.
I won't try to go too in depth here but the pain could be caused simply by overworked "knotted" muscles in the pelvic region (possibly the one you mentioned) and refering pain to the testes, as well as possible nerve involvement .
Many men with CPPS have pain in the testes, I did not, but I had many symptoms myself that destroyed my life for years. This to me sounds like classic CPPS symptoms which can be brought on by heavy lifting. the wiki on cremaster muscle mentions it can be contracted voluntarily by contracting the PC muscle or sucking in the abdomen. two things CPPS sufferers do chronically that may start us on the road to suffering in the first place. As well that it is contracts in fight or flight circumstances, another clue.

I urge you to read this article, as well as look around that site, and join the forum, which is filled with many knowledgable, helpful people :

http://www.chronicprostatitis.com/myoneuropathy.html

Also you could pick up the book "headache in the pelvis" by Dr. David Wise.
These are things you can do immediately. The wiki on cremaster muscle also mentioned botox injections and minor surgery as well as excision of the entire muscle. But before any of that I would definitely check out the trigger point option. I am a huge advocate of this type of therapy as I had serious problems, and trigger point therapy cured the hell out of MANY horrible symptoms I've had.

Anyway, good luck.

vanzandt85 replied to vikvaughn's response:
@vikvaughn I cannot thank you enough for your referrals they have been a revelation. I have so much in common with all of these conditions. I had all but completely given up on doctors but you may have saved me. And although it looks like theres alot of experimentation I will have to do and new doctors to see It is an extraordinary relief to know that im not alone and there are doctors specializing in this field. I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you so much for sharing your story and taking the time out of your day to help your fellow man. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

counterso replied to vanzandt85's response:
Vik is correct. And there are a limited number of physical therapists who are trained to assist you with pelvic floor dysfunction. Your symptoms do not sound anything like hernia.

Dismissive doctors are the worst. It's clear that you have a painful condition and pain is never normal. Sometimes turning the conversation around from "what can you do for me?" to "what would you do if this were happening to you?" can reframe the issue enough for the doctor to think differently.

vanzandt85 replied to counterso's response:
I agree before today I was unaware of CPPS and all its symptoms the only thing I could find most closely related to me condition was something like an inguinal hernia. Thank you counterso for your response and that technique about using empathy will be exercised in the future. For the record though I would not like to consider this post to be resolved I am taking all information into account. However I am positive CPPS is what ive been dealing with. I can see so many symptoms that are linked here that I thought were unrelated. Such as my chronic fatigue, insomnia, my IBS that was diagnosed with 7 years ago and the removal of polyps. Not to mention the severe lower back pain in my kidneys that I was told was from my kidney stones. Even when finding several kidney stones in my body my doctors were dismissive and told me that I was not in need of medication. But anyone who's had kidney stones knows of its severe pain which can quite literally stop you dead in your tracks. It is beyond me how some doctors can act so condescending and pompus. There used to be a time when doctors took their job because they wanted to help people, now it seems everything is protocol and there are no real relationships developed between patient and doctor. No offense to the real md's out there who conduct themselves with real regard for human life. Thank you once again.

glangers replied to vanzandt85's response:
Great information it will be what guy above described as if was a hernia doc would pic it up in two minutes. However whatever you do do NOT have procedure to separate/dissect cremaster I plead with you! I had the same problem ten years ago however I was not blessed with advice about pelvic floor/abdominal trigger points/intra abdominal pressure. My urologist decided to go ahead and operate and I regretted it immediately. I was shortly after diagnosed with bi polar 2 disorder after manic and depressive not knowing what was going on with my body. What the procedure caused was up to %50 loss of sensation so I cant get to orgasm with only penetration. Need manual stimulation. Also what it caused was my scrotum is now permanently tight like when you are cold. It will drop slightly in shower thats it. So whilst me testicles do not retract into my groin they are permanently up agains pubic bone and feel like being crushed against pubic bone pushing side ways when scrotum muscle contracts on orgasm. If I could go backwards and have just worked on pelvic floor/abdominal trigger points or just thrown on a cock ring for sex I would virtually give up a limb. I know for a fact the above stuff would of worked as I discovered it after the operation and know for a fact I was subconscious contracting all the time. Now I have mind body awareness I can control the gripping but because of procedure it doesn't really work but just makes me feel less anxious or cramped up. I think what has happened is the nerve in the area genitofemoral senses something has been altered so it sending signals to the scrotum muscle/dartos its needs to be on %100 as stuff has been cut. I am now ten years later trying to work out if there is anyway to reverse the cremaster dissection but as you can imagine the courage and anxiety due to risk factors etc or making worse is not nice at all. I have already braced that there may be no way or no urologist who will risk this and a life of bi polar medication and sometimes suicidal thoughts but I feel if I do not bring the courage to speak up and ask I will suffer in silence and wonder what if. Please dont think I am just mentally unstable the mind is linked to the body. Please try anything you can without surgical intervention I do not want anyone in the world to go through this. Take care

davidvan responded:
Did your issue ever get resolved? I have had a very similar situation as you, both symptoms and the way the urologist has treated me.

My pain has been very cyclic throughout my entire life. I may go 6 months without pain, although almost always uncomfortable, and then become nearly incapacitated by it. Almost like having a testicle in a vice with a blow torch on it. Always the right side and usually lasts anywhere from 1-3 weeks. There is no escape. Pain meds help, but like you, my Dr acts as though I am lying about it. There is a nurse practitioner in the office who seems to understand my situation and does her best to accommodate me.

I have gone through numerous ultra-sounds, to include my testicles and lower abdomen (no hernia detected). Recently, I saw another Dr who has been practicing for 30 years who believes I have an overactive cremaster muscle. He believes it is causing torsion, which results in blood flow restriction and pinched nerves. He believes "tacking" my testicle would alleviate the problem. While in surgery, they want to have a general surgeon present to perform "exploratory surgery" to completely rule out a reccuring hernia.

I am at my wits end with all of this as it dramatically effects my life and am extremely worried the surgery will be unsuccessful leaving me in further despair. Sorry about the long post..... but I have never heard/read another story like mine and have began to think maybe it is in my head.

What I really want to know is, did you ever find an effective solution? Or are you still afflicted by this devastating (mind and body) condition? Please let me know as I really hope there is a solution somewhere out there before I make the wrong decision.

Thanks

Spotlight: Member Stories

65 years young and just trying to do the right thing. At my age I just can't afford any mistakes.

Helpful Tips

Skin burning in my left waist area at belt level
Does any professional know about a condition with symptoms of skin burning in my left waist area at pants belt level? I have had this for ... More
Was this Helpful?
43 of 64 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.