Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    For Expert Responses to your Vision issues, we invite you to post on our WebMD Eye Health Community
    Amblyopia (lazy eye) with completely dislocated lens
    tarjall posted:
    My brother is 24, he is a wonderful person, very helpful, passionate in what he does, but has been very limited in his opportunities because of his situation, which has had a negative effect on him since he was a kid. Everyone who knows him, loves him, he has an amazing personality, he has a lot of dreams he wants to achieve but always has something holding him back, although he is trying every day. I want to help him find a way to improve his vision so he may start living a normal life with a chance of reaching his goals and dreams.

    Since he was born, he has had vision problems where he can only see %4 from his right eye and %86 from his left eye when wearing his very thick glasses. When he was a couple of years old, he has had corrective surgery on his skull which according to doctors had nothing to do with his vision problems, saying he was most likely born with this problem, at around that time, eye doctors told us not to do anything with his eyes until he reaches 18, saying he would be lucky if he doesn't go blind by then.

    We recently saw an Ophthalmologist, specialized in cataracts and lens implants(IOL), who said he has a completely dislocated lens in his right eye, and the ligaments are broken. The doctor said his brain is choosing not to see with his right eye (lazy eye - Amblyopia) and there is nothing at all he can do for him. His situation has caused him depression although he is an optimistic person. Does anyone know of anything in research, or any doctors specialized in this area that can do something for him?

    I have the papers that the doctor gave me that includes measurements and other information.

    Please, please, please help us find a solution for him, I love my brother so much, and I want to see him achieve his dreams, and to be given the opportunity to see the world like we do.
    worriedabouteyes responded:
    I really hope you read this as it has been many months since you last posted! If he has amblyopia, did he patch as a kid? New studies show that patching is successful even in young adults - especially since they will be motivated enough to not cheat.

    I'm almost 31, have amblyopia and while school was a nightmare, I went to college and even law school. The only challenge I really have today is driving (and no doctor takes me seriously when I say it's tough to drive due to lack of depth perception). I patched as a kid and then when I was your brother's age, I tried VT (Vision Therapy). It's controversial but that helped to eliminate tracking issues while reading and helped me regain binocularity (now, I can tell that I'm using both eyes instead of just the stronger one). I still favor the stronger one more out of habit but I CAN use the weaker one now.

    What does he struggle in?

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.