Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Celiac Disease Misdiagnosed as Fibromyalgia?
alloyman posted:
Can Celiac Disease be misdiagnosed as Fibromyalgia? I have a friend that was told that she had Fibro, but recently underwent tests that suggest Celiac Disease. I was wondering how probable this is because my wife has some of the same symptoms that my friend has and she was also diagnosed with Fibro. My wife also has irritable bowel and stiff muscles and joints. Sometimes she can hardly get out of bed in the morning. Is there any correlation?

atti_editor responded:
Hi alloyman,

You might want to try posting your question in our Fibromyalgia Community if you haven't already. The members there are very active, supportive and eager to respond with personal experience and information. There have been a number of posts on the board in the past about a suspected correlation between celiac disease or the milder gluten intolerance and fibro (you can search within the community for these posts if you'd like, or certainly post a new discussion as you did here). I am sure the members will add their own experiences, research and opinions.

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.