Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Kawasaki Disease
marly26 posted:
My grandson contracted Kawasaki Disease in around 2002. He had a very informed Pediatrician who was number one on the list at our hospital. First Kawasaki Disease is very delibating especially in say a 3yr.old who doesn't understand. We were told that he had to run a temp over 101 Fahrenheit for 5 days straight. Well believe me this had happened.
He seen the Pediatrician and was booked immediately for Kawasaki. You see your child looking normal and within 5 days he is looking like the Incredible Hulk (no BS here). It literally scared us. He was hooked up to IV and given 1500cc. of Aspirin Daily.for I believe 3-4 days. Until the fever broke. After all of this their little hands and feet start to pain, they loose approx. 1 layer of skin on their hands and feet. Their nails peel to the point of being non-existant. When the Dr. had mentioned the name I said at the next visit (I could not find Kawasaki Disease on the Internet) his reply "its best you dont'" Well that certainly put me in a frenzy. He is now 15 and is having liver problems, in fact they are next week having him taken in for an Ultra-Sound of his liver. I cant' tell you how distraught I am over this. I did check the internet and apparently it can do something to the liver, however it is not saying much. If anyone, and I do mean anyone who has any info on this Disease and Liver Disease at a later age pls. let me know. I keep checking and checking, all I am getting is "yes" it can effect the liver, but in what way? He has not been feeling well lately, sick to his stomach etc. I really want some answers' on this. I am getting paranoid. I certainly do not want anything to happen to my oldest grandson. Pls. feel free to email me directly. If you cant' and have to post here I will reply with my own email address. Thank you anyone, I keep praying!!

Take the Poll

How is this acquired? Why a child so young? What would cause it to come back, not under Kawasaki but Liver now? What can be done for my grandson?
  • How is this acquired?
  • Why a child so young?
  • What would cause it to come back, not under Kawasaki but Liver no
  • What can be done for my grandson?
vote
View Poll Results

susiemargaret responded:
hello, M --

i hope you are still watching this thread; i'm sorry no one has responded to your post.

you may want to look at the webMD info on kawasaki disease, http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/tc/kawasaki-disease-topic-overview. be sure to investigate all of the topics associated with it; look at the left side of the page under the green title "kawasaki disease" and the blue titles underneath for the various sections.

of particular interest might be the section on "other places to get help," specifically the info on the kawasaki disease foundation, http://www.kdfoundation.org. their website has a "contact us" link at the bottom right that gives e-mail addresses for inquiries, http://www.kdfoundation.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&Itemid=248.

i hope your grandson can get the medical help he needs. it sounds as if he has already been thru more suffering than any child should endure.

-- susie margaret

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.