Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Fever
    momagator posted:
    If my normal body temp is 96.8. When would a temp elevation be considered a temp. I have not been feeling well. Sore throat, nasal congestion, chest congestion, chills, then hot... My temp has been running 99.8.. So how is it considered compared to my normal body temp. Is it just 99.8 or is it 101.8?

I am a 53 female
    No hormone issues

atti_editor responded:
    Hi momagator,

This is a good question to clarify with your doctor. Normal body temperature averages 98.6 but can fall 1 degree or more higher or lower (as your 96.8 does). An oral temperature above 100 F is a considered a fever in most adults. This may need to be adjusted because your normal body temperature is lower than the average. Because your rise in temperature is associated with a sore throat, chest congestion, etc, it might be that your body is trying to fight off an infection or cold/flu . If you have been experiencing these symptoms for more than three days or your symptoms are getting worse, I suggest you make an appointment to see your doctor. You may be in need of antibiotics or other treatment. Here are some fever treatment options you might find helpful.

Best wishes,
    Atti

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.