Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fever
momagator posted:
If my normal body temp is 96.8. When would a temp elevation be considered a temp. I have not been feeling well. Sore throat, nasal congestion, chest congestion, chills, then hot... My temp has been running 99.8.. So how is it considered compared to my normal body temp. Is it just 99.8 or is it 101.8?

I am a 53 female
No hormone issues

atti_editor responded:
Hi momagator,

This is a good question to clarify with your doctor. Normal body temperature averages 98.6 but can fall 1 degree or more higher or lower (as your 96.8 does). An oral temperature above 100 F is a considered a fever in most adults. This may need to be adjusted because your normal body temperature is lower than the average. Because your rise in temperature is associated with a sore throat, chest congestion, etc, it might be that your body is trying to fight off an infection or cold/flu . If you have been experiencing these symptoms for more than three days or your symptoms are getting worse, I suggest you make an appointment to see your doctor. You may be in need of antibiotics or other treatment. Here are some fever treatment options you might find helpful.

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.