Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
3 year old with a sore throat & neck
An_225018 posted:
My 3 year old daughter has had cold symptoms for a couple days. She has had a runny nose & been complaining that her throat hurts but no fever. She has now started complaining that her neck hurts and is favoring the right side of her neck. Is this something that I should be alarmed about?
Thank you,
Nervous Mother

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon_30524,

Please visit our Colds and Flu Exchange for help with your questions.

- Annie

Cheytigger responded:
Dear Anon_30524,
To understand her complaints a little more, think of this...in a toddler the tear duc runs from the corner of the eyes to her ears and throat. It is very short so any infection in one area will affect the nose, ears, and throat.

Now these are just suggestions from my past experiences and knowledge. There are two very possible issues here that you can check before you take her to the doctor regardless, she should be seen by a professional.

#1-- look inside her throat with a flashlight to see is maybe her tonsils are red and maybe has white bumps on them and only on the one side she's complaining of.

#2-- look UP HER NOSE! This sounds crazy but look to see if she stuck something up her nose that may be causing an infection now.

From personal experience, one of my girls started complaining of a sore throat, earache, and she had a runny nose but it appeared to be only on one side. When I checked in her nose, she had shoved a tiny piece of sponge up there. Apparently had done it a few days or weeks before any symptoms started. Since the sponge is something like a foreign object in the nose, her body started to reject it by starting up a list of infections.

Now both the things listed are pretty minor things and can be easily fixed by her doctor, however, to be on the safe side, it can be something more serious and she should be seen. Keep in mind that if you have no medical insurance, she WILL be seen and treated in any EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT where they will give you a prescription if necessary. I stressed Emergency Department because they are required by law to treat everyone. This is not the case though with doctors or Urgent Care Centers.

If you end up with a prescription for her and you have no medical coverage, I STRONGLY suggest you call around ALL pharmacies for a price quote. You would be extremely surprised at the different costs from one pharmacy to another.

For your peace of mind though, you should take her in to be checked. Good luck to you. Apparently 3 yr olds will always continue to teach their parents something!

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.