SOS-pill stuck in throat
An_225292 posted:
About 24 hours ago, I swallowed a large antibiotic and it feels as if it's still stuck in my throat. I've tried every food item, beverage, & relaxation technique. I called my doctor & pharmacy and I've been told to wait & see.
It still feels as if there is a lump in my throat (below Adam's apple) with a mild burning sensation (maybe the pill is gone & it's just an irritation), and slight discomfort traveling from the front of my chest into my shoulder blades. I understand the risks involved with a pill resting on the esophagus but wouldn't a sulfur pill (chalky) dissolve by now? If not, what is the least invasive way to detect the pill? I'm trying to stay calm but it's not easy.

meliellis responded:
The chances of a pill being stuck in your throat for that long are very slim. For one, like you said, it would dissolve especially since you've been drinking and eating. It probably did get stuck sideways briefly and bruised, and, yes, irritated your throat. If you can, take some ibuprofen to reduce any swelling and discomfort. The pain in your chest and shoulders is most likely caused by this stressful situation. I hope this has helped. Good Luck

mma65 replied to meliellis's response:
Thank you for your help and support. Believe it or not, as the days with this throat and back pain have progressed, I think my asthma might be acting up. It's just ironic that the pill got stuck & then these other symptoms kicked in.

Annie_WebMD_Staff replied to mma65's response:
Hi mma65,

We do have an WebMD Asthma Community and an Ear, Nose, and Throat Community board for help with any questions that you have about throat issues.

- Annie