Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

My MRI hurt too
    screennamecurious posted:
    Today -13 July 2010- I had an MRI of my left elbow. The person doing the mri taped a pill like marker onto my arm at the place i indicated i felt pain. While in the machine, my elbow started aching. When I was removed from the machine, my left arm, just below the elbow was all swollen around the "marker" and the tape. The pain was some of the worst I have felt in this part of my body. Over the next several minutes, the pain gradually lessened, but there is still some residual pain. The female who did the MRI told me that the pain must have been caused by the way I held my arm during the MRI. My arm was positioned by her before the procedure and I did not move it. I do not believe her explanation. Furthermore, what was it that caused the swelling? I also got a headache from the MRI that lasted several hours.

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hi screennamecurious,

For help with your questions please visit our WebMD Osteoarthritis Community . Do get in touch with your doctor if you have had complications with an MRI.

- Annie

Dlyn1 responded:
    Today Dec 30, 2015 - I too had an MRI on my head and neck and was the most painful thing ever, at one point I swear my heart was going to explode. That was in a addition to feeling like my brain was being sliced into layers and all of the uncontrollable muscle jerks. Which at the time I had no idea that wasn't normal, and I thought I was just feeling it more intently due to the way my body is high in electricity. Prior to my MRI NO one explained any details about the test, how long it would take or what to expect doing the test, the loud sounds or even to lay still, which I figured was a given coinciding the nature of the test. After it was over, my head gear removed and I was told I could go. If only that simple, how was I going to do that when I could not even stand, I could barely see or talk, the girl just stood there watching me hanging on to the table as I tried not to hit the floor. At one point I did manage to ask her if it is it suppose to hurt so bad, she said what, your neck and head from laying down. NO, not from laying down, the MRI, she just looked at me like I was crazy without replying and still not even trying to help me. After few minutes I could manage to walk, barely, don't know how I even able to put on my slip on shoes and pick up my purse, because of the pain, weakness and tremors. I made it the few steps out to my hubby and he took one look at me a freaked, wanted to know what happen to me, I was fine when I went in and now I was the walking dead... ha ha Than his fear turn to anger, when he found out no one tried to help me or even check me over to be sure I was ok. He had to help me walk as he looked for someone to check my vials, which were off the charts for my normal. They said it was probably just anxiety, because MRI don't hurt. BS I know what I felt and it was not "anxiety" from the sound and being closed in, maybe anxiety from the torture I went through for almost an hour, I'm guessing the time period, because I had concept of time while the MRI, it felt like days.
    What I still can't figure out is how did they not notice me on the table uncontrollably shaking, at times so bad I must have look like someone having a seizure.
    I've had neck and head pain when I went in, for 6 months actually, hence the reason for MRI, which was the last test there was to do for answers. Pain was so much worse after, and I didn't think that was possible, well live and learn.
    No one is going to tell me MRI don't hurt, maybe just one in a million/millions of cases will a person have a problem and my luck I was that one, but I know what I know to be true...
    As I write this it's almost 12 hours later and I'm still feeling lingering effect from my MRI, pain more than usual with numbness, dizziness, tingling & skin crawling and light shakes, even hard to concentrate as I write this, but believe it or not so much better...
    So if your reading this and you had a MRI that wasn't "normal" your NOT CRAZY and your NOT ALONE it does happen, even though the health community will try and convince you otherwise, MRI's CAN HURT...
    Maybe just in too few of cases for them to be concerned, care or even know about, but I know what happened to me and I will not be forgetting it anytime soon...

FYI -
    Whether or not this had anything to do with my MRI problems or not, which I was repeatedly assured before and after my MRI it did not or could/would not cause any problems but I thought maybe it was worth mentioning.
    Yesterday, I did have an 6 hour iron infusion for my anemia...
    Guess I will never know why...

kaittkat47 replied to Dlyn1's response:
    I want to die

atti_editor replied to kaittkat47's response:
    I am so sorry that you are going through this. If you think you need immediate help and cannot speak to a family member, a medical professional, please reach out to one of the organizations on this crisis assistance page or dial 911 immediately.

earringsbycathy replied to Dlyn1's response:
    Hi thanks for posting this I have to get one the 29th now I'm not sure if i want to

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.