Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bathing after ironing clothes... is it bad for your health, or just an old wives' tale?
coffee_fuerte posted:
My husband is a completely rational person, except for one thing. He's from South America and the climate is very hot where he grew up. He is convinced that it is bad for my health to bathe after I have been ironing clothes. He tries to tell me that it's like running a hot glass under cold water (it cracks). I would like a rational answer so that I can explain to him that there is no problem for me if I jump in the shower after ironing a shirt. He will listen to a scientific explanation, I just don't have a good enough explanation to give him. Could someone help me in giving him a rational, scientifically supported answer?

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
A scientifically supported answer? I'm not sure there is one. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. It's ok to be very hot and then swim. I guess he can ask his doctor about it, but other than that, I have no suggestions. I'm sorry.
Good Luck and Good health, Chrissy WebMD Community Staff

An_225389 replied to Chris_WebMD_Staff's response:
How about... Unless its extremely hot where you currently live, there is no reason to worry. Your body can handle a wide variance in temperatures like going outside into a 100 degree heat and then inside into a 70 degree airconditioned building. Extreme temperatures pose health threats, but barring a 120 degree heat while you're ironing and then jumping into a literal ice bath, you should be fine.
If you suffer from blood pressure issues you might want to pause a sec between activities but other than that... no prob!

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.