Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Afraid of Surgery
jmh530 posted:
Hi,
I have progressive MS, Fibromuscular dysplasia, PVD, May-Turner syndrome, carpal tunnel syndrome, had neck surgery, had three stents placed in my iliac arteries, I still have herniations in my neck, middle of my back and lower back. 60% blockage in both carotid arteries.
Both of my shoulders have full rotator cuff tears and the right side is the worst as my doctor told me he had never seen such a massive tear on someone my age (49). He also told me that if I didn't have the surgery to repair it I would just loose the use of that arm. With the herniations that I still have in my neck, I have the possibilty of being paralyzed from the intubation for anesthia.
So since it seems that the cervical repair didn't offer much relief I am scared about this next surgery (once they decide if they can do it, I was already turned down by one place). My crafts and things that I like to do are part of my own therapy for trying to keep my mind off of all of my medical conditions. So since this surgery appears to be rather risky for me what I want to know is how long do I have before I loose the use of my right arm? My crafts and things are one of my best defenses for escaping all that is wrong with me and so I don't want to loose the use of my arm. But I don't want to end up paralyzed either. Any suggestions or professional opinions would be gratefully accepted.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi jmh530,

I am sorry you are going through this, you have a very good question, but, unfortunately the health care professionals at WebMD are unable to diagnosis over the internet.

Please contact your orthopedic surgeon for an answer to your question, he/she may also be able to help you with the pros and cons of having rotator cuff surgery with your other medical problems. Have you tried any non-surgical treatment ?

Also, you may want to schedule a consultation with an anesthesiologist to discuss general anesthesia alternatives . And prepare for surgery well in advance if surgery is needed.

Wishing you well,
Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.