Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can I be active after the Lap Band
dsmsds posted:
Hi, I am looking for anybody who can tell me more about how my life will be after having the Lap Band surgery. I was told by an individual - not a Dr.-, that they preform the lap band on people who won't be very active after they have the surgery. Mostly done on the elderly who won't be very mobile. He said the reason is, is that the band can slip and the port can actually come loose from the band itself or the access place on the outer body. Like the port would be loose inside the body!?! How easy can the band slip? My family goes to the lake in the summer and we spend a lot of time on the water doing lots of physical things. I don't participate now, because I am overweight and not about to get stuck in the middle of the lake and have to have a helicopter come save me because I can't climb my big rear back up into the boat! Ha! My goal is to be able to tube, and ski... along with the rest of them! I will have to pay out of pocket to have the surgery done, since I have Individual health insurance and not group. So I don't want to waste my time or money just to be skinny and sitting watching everybody. Please help!

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi dsmsds, That is a good questions and I'm sure others who have or are contemplating gastric surgery may want to know the same thing! We do have a Weight Loss surgery support group board and the community members on that board may be able to share their throughts and their surgical experiences with you. Do click on the Programs For You area of that board to read more about gastric lap band ad gastric bypass surgery. Good luck! - Annie

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.