Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Wow, never heard of this but my friend just called me, same experience
justalittlebirdy posted:
My friend just had an MRI this morning, he's had back surgery and a head injury in the distant past, has had an MRI before but didn't have the experience he did this morning.

He reported his insides felt like they were twisting and his back and neck went into spasms. He heard the techs saying he was "whining" well apparently it's not real common to have folks have this sort of experience but he sure did. I had one last year, and the year before last, didn't feel anything like this.

He does have tatts but he didn't report burning he said his innards felt twisted and his back was spasming. I wonder if there's any correlation between old machines, newer machines, etc. I do know these things have to be calibrated occasionally...perhaps something was out of adjustment. Either way if you have a bad experience like this you need to complain and not just to your doctor and the lab that did the test you need to be going as high and as far as you can.

No one thinks MRI is bad for you today but in twenty years someone could figure out that exposure to high levels of magnetism causes a problem we currently cannot detect--radiation can mutate cells, why not magnetism your whole body and your brain is electrical and affected by magnetism. My friend is really into the metaphysical stuff and natural medicine and some of the more pagan beliefs such as wicca, those folks sometimes tend to have some different senitivities I'd like to know how many on here reporting problems practice any such things.

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
You may want to read through this thread with many replies on it about this very thing.

Click here:
Why did I feel pain during my MRI?
Good Luck and Good health, Chrissy WebMD Community Staff

sylwill7 responded:
I've had at least 9 or 10 MRI's in my lifetime with the first one done in 1995 and the latest in December. I've had a spinal fusion as well as both hips and a knee fully replaced. The metal joints, screws and scar tissue kind of fuzz the MRI in those areas so they don't get a completely clear picture. Halfway through the last MRI, they moved me part way out and gave me an injection which was to help them see through the scar tissue. I am on fentanyl pain patches and was told I'd have to remove them prior to the MRI. I've never had any kind of pain or side effects from any of the MRI's that I've had and I've had them over the last 16 years so obviously there have been technology advances since then. I've also had my MRI's at a number of different locations so I don't think the type of MRI machine that's used makes any difference. Maybe with your friend, it's mind over matter. If they believe something's going to happen after their MRI, they may think they're feeling some sort of side effect..

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.