Skip to content
advice on pain meds
mimispain posted:
I am new to this community and am desperately seeking advice on long-acting pain medications that can be used by someone who has had lapband surgery and lowest risk of respiratory problems please.

I have lumbar disc problems, SI joint dysfunction, radiculopathy in both legs, osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia, insomnia, chronic fatigue, hypertension, osteoporosis, and restless pain syndrome. I currently can not take any of the approved drugs for fibromalgia due to side effects. At this time I am taking hydrocodone/apap 10/325 four times a day, halcion, alprazolam, mirapex, lisinopril/hctz, voltaren gel, and trazodone. I see a pain management doctor who gives me a variety of spinal procedures and trigger point injections. Most recently had radiofrequency ablation, but unfortunately did not help much. She has prescribed fentanyl patches but I have not started them due to concern of side effects (particularly respiratory problems). I do admit that I am a long time smoker. I had lapband surgery last year hoping weight loss would help me avoid surgery, but although have lost 60 pounds pain has not improved.

I can sit, stand, walk, or lay down on either hip for longer than 30 minutes at a time with severe pain.

I had been doing aquatic therapy until recently and can't walk due to recent (third) stress fracture in my foot so exercise is on hold for now.

Pain management physician is still recommending surgery but would like to avoid this if possible as I know there is no guarantee that this will help. Have been told by neurosurgeon that should help the raciculopathy but may not improve the back/hip pain signficantly.

Would love to hear from the community and experts on their opinions.

Thanks for listening.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear Mimispain,

Thank you for bringing your concerns to WebMD. I am so sorry to hear you have been struggling for so long with many complications.

We have a wonderful Pain Management Community that may offer more member or possible expert response.

And, our Osteoporosis Community may also be able to lend some support.

Please repost with the above communities and I hope you find answers and support soon,
Elizabeth

annette030 responded:
I don't have experience with lap band surgery, but others have posted that their absorption of oral meds changed after bariatric surgery. For them, using a fentanyl patch helped, but you are taking lots of oral meds, so you may not have that problem.

You are taking lots of sedating drugs already, I would just talk to your doctor first, and try what he suggests if it sounds reasonable to you.

I would also have a friend or family member with you when you take the first few doses of any new medicine to see how your body responds to it.

Take care, Annette

mimispain replied to annette030's response:
thank you Annette030, that is very good advice.

mimispain

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.