Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need prescription until I can schedule appointment
Anon_136076 posted:
Hi, I am between doctors right now...I can't go to my previous doctor because they will not allow me to since I refused to see 2 of the doctors at the practice (long story), even though they have several doctors there. I need a prescription refill just for the next month, and they refuse to authorize it. I've been taking the medication for 10 years, and saw my doctor in Jan. My insurance won't cover pre-existing conditions until Nov., so I am reluctant to schedule an appointment with a new doctor, who will likely insist on doing all the EKGs and everything all over again, and I would have to pay out-of-pocket. Does anyone know of any way I could get a prescription for a month without going through all of that? For example, will the "minute clinic" type places do that, or will I end up paying them for nothing?

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon,

This is difficult to answer and would be up to the health care professional evaluating you. It may also depend on the medication you are asking for.

If you have not been officially "discharged" from the practice, you should be able to get your medication while arranging your new health care. You can not be "abandoned" while arranging care.

Good Luck,
Elizabeth

Anon_136076 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Oh they definitely did abandon me. I had an appointment scheduled back in Feb.; I received a call 2 days prior from the office telling me the doctor would not see me, because I refused to see 2 of his colleagues. I was out of state visiting family and had planned my return around that appointment. Since I had several months of prescriptions at that point, I didn't bother rescheduling, knowing my insurance would not cover pre-existing conditions until Nov., but the prescription ran out a couple of weeks too soon.

To answer my own question....there is no way to get a prescription without an appointment. I have the drugstore making a second attempt, but that is not likely, and the minute clinic won't do it...they suggested another walk-in clinic that it turns out charges about as much as my previous doctor, so I"m just making an appointment with a cardiologist, and will get screwed as usual. I don't know why I even pay for health insurance at this point, they barely pay for anything.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to Anon_136076's response:
Please check with your state or county medical society regarding discharging a patient and abandonment.

Explain to the drug store that you have not been discharged from the practice and you are unable to schedule an appointment or obtain the prescription. Again, this may depend on the type of medication you need.

Hope this is helpful,
Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources