Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Toes twitching
An_244654 posted:
Hi, for the past few month my left foot, 4th toe have been twitching. There's no pain, but it gets quite annoying from time to time, especially when i'm trying to sleep (it's hard to ignore). Also, I'm not sure if it relates to my toes twitching, but another thing that happens is when I move one of my finger once, it twitches afterward for a second, then stops (also painless). I checked with my doctor and he only sent me to orthopedic doctor, that didn't do much. So i'm wondering if there's anything I can do to stop this, or if it's a symptom/disorder/ etc.

PS: I read a few articles made by people that had the same problem, and some comments recommended drinking more water and consuming more bananas. I tried that and still no good.

oldgermanlady responded:
you ,maybe have some Nerve trouble. Your Foot, is it getting cold, or numb, get it check out from a Arthritis Dr.

shadowsmom42 responded:
I have no idea why your doctor would send you to an orthopedic, quite frankly, unless there's more you told your doctor than what you're saying here (for privacy, that's all...)...
Sounds like you're 'pinching' a nerve. Whether it's from a certain position you're laying in (since it happens when you're trying to sleep) or not, of course, I don't really know. What you're describing, though, sounds like what was happening with me. Anyhow, you can search online and check which nerve exactly, in the neck, lumbar or SI area will cause that particular toe and/or finger to twitch. I do know that it'll be the neck/cervical that causes fingers to tingle/twitch. I just had an ACDF at the C6-C7 for the same thing. I had a full impingement.
As far as the toe, like I said, not 100% sure...but I'd bet you MIGHT be having the same thing happen there as well. MIGHT....
Good luck. Just suggestions, that's all.......

shadowsmom42 responded:
Oh, meant to tell you, too, that if it is nerve trouble that is NOT being caused by an impingement, it could be signs of Diabetes. Not really arthritis as someone else mentioned.......

Olivia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi there!

I have searched our site in several ways, and I can't find anything specific to toe twitching.

Here is a link to a place you can check your toe symptoms .

You might want to ask our doctor if he or she can refer you to a neurologist to have it checked out if you're pretty worried about it. You know your body best, and should trust your instincts if you think something's not right.

Let us know how it goes.

Take care,
Olivia

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.