Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
sugar
zanyapril posted:
I'm an alcoholic and stopped drinking alcohol completely about 6 weeks ago. For the last 2 weeks I have been having UNCONTROLLABLE cravings for sugar and sweets, I'm also eating when I am not even hungry. I have been so sluggish that working out has also become exhausting before I even start. I"m very full, bloated and uncomfortable all the time. Could this be from abruptly cutting the alcohol out?

I was dieting before I quit drinking and had about 10lbs to go. I also walked 4 miles at an incline of 8-10 for 1:10mins and did weights. The last week I have been sooo tired and run down that I cant even think about working out.

I need some help understanding if this is from not drinking or what it is also how I can cut the sugar out and get back on my healthy living and weight loss program.

PharmacyFinanceGuy responded:
Congratulations! I have no idea if craving sugar is common, although I've heard other types of addictions create sugar cravings. Keep up the good work!

Olivia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome, zanyapril!

Congrats on your quit.

I'd recommend posting to our Substance Abuse board for feedback from other members as well as experts from the Betty Ford Center.

Take care,
Olivia

shadowsmom42 responded:
Yes, yes, yes....sugar and sweets cravings ARE part of quitting drinking. Alcohol contains sugar (though most people don't realize that) and when we quit, most of us will crave the sweets to replace the alcohol/sugar.
Congratulations on quitting. I know how hard that is! LOL. I don't know how long you drank nor how much you drank but I would suggest seeing a doctor and getting a complete workup to see exactly where your body is now. I would definitely suggest a complete blood work up....check to see if there is any liver damage, check cholesterol, thyroid, all hormone levels....EVERYTHING. Be honest with your doctor and let him/her know that you are a 'recovering alcoholic' and that you need a complete work up.
If you haven't done it already, I suggest getting to A.A. If you do go and are uncomfortable at that particular meeting, find another one. If one is a woman, find a women-only meeting. If one is male, try to find one that is a men-only meeting. Whatever you do, do not give up. You are well on your way to a happy, healthy, SOBER life!!!! Congratulations, again!!!!! Best of luck to you. (And don't eat too many twinkies or ding-dongs. LOL. I did.......)

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.