Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
AFTER ORAL SURGURY ARM PAIN
ONEEYESLIM posted:
I RECENTLY HAD ALL FOUR OF MY WISDOM TEETH REMOVED AT THE AGE OF 41.

THE DOCTOR ADMINISTERED AN I.V. AND PUT ME UNDER FOR THE SHORT PROCEDURE (ABOUT ONE HOUR). EVERYTHING TO MYKNOWLEDGE WENT WELL.

I DID NOT HAVE TOO MUCH MOUTH PAIN AND HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DO WITHOUT THE PAIN MEDS PERSCRIBED BUT, MY ARM IN THE AREA OF THE I.V. HAS BECOME VERY SORE. THE MUSCLE EVEN HURTS. MY SURGERY WAS FIVE DAYS AGO SO IM WONDERING....IS IT COMMON TO HAVE PAIN IN THET AREA WHERE THE IV WAS ADMINISTERED SEVERAL DAYS AFTER.

THANK YOU,

NONE THE WISER WITHOUT MY WISDOM TEETH

AnnieBHappy responded:
Hi 'ONEEYESLIM'! I see you postponed having your wisdom teeth removed as you provided your age. It has been recommended that my teenaged daughter have her wisdom teeth removed. Nothing is wrong with them now; just standard procedure of removal for removal's sake. Now, I have a friend who still has her wisdom teeth and she's about my age (late 40's) and has never had an issue with them. She also decided not to subject her teenagers to the removal procedure thinking it an unneccesary standard procedure that may not need doing. She said she's comfortable waiting to see if they encounter any problems with having left them in and dealing with it then. Do you or does anyone reading this have any insights to share re: Whether or not this preventative measure of removal is over-rated and over done and/or if leaving them in and waiting to see whether or not removal is necessary is something people are doing more frequently nowadays...something to that effect...ANY opinions, insights and info HIGHLY appreciated! Thanks so much: AnnieBHappy

Emitot replied to AnnieBHappy's response:
keep your teeth,u may need them if u lose any other molars due to caries.

MaliSoucy replied to AnnieBHappy's response:
Hi "AnnieBHappy"!
When I had my braces put on at age 14, the dentist pulled my back molars, so there was plenty of room for my wisdom teeth to come in when they did in my 20's. The only problems that I had were 1) trying to convince dentists that they were indeed wisdom teeth, and not 12-year molars(!!!), and 2) just keeping them clean and healthy. It is sometimes difficult to reach around the back of the wisdom teeth while brushing and flossing. However, I have a very small mouth (I am told!), and that may be why I have a difficult time. The only other problem I had was eventually it did cause some "crowding" on my upper teeth, so I had my left upper removed. I am 51 (although, none the wiser either!), and agree that keeping any and all teeth that are healthy is the best thing you can do! Hope this helps!
MaliSoucy

ONEEYESLIM replied to AnnieBHappy's response:
Well, as you can imagine I kinda shared your idea. My wisdom teeth never really bothered me, but on my last routine (well....maybe on afew ocassions before also) my dentist told me that my upper wisdom teeth were starting to impact. I blew this off for several years expecially since my upper wisdoms were not even breaking though the gums. But finally after seeing the xrays I got the picture. I have not had the pleasure to have braces and the effect of the impacted teeth would start to crowd my teeth and push them further and further outa wack not to mention the pain (it could) cause. So since I had the insurance, I figured I might as well take advantage of it.
Aside from my bad experience with the IV the procedure took only about an hour. After I must say I was really HIgh! I just wanted to sleep I was out of it for the rest of the day. I got up to go to the bathroom and no sooner passed out and woke up on the floor. I made it to the bathroom and no sooner passed out again from standing position and knocked my head pretty well.
If I had the choice to do it over again....ummm....I might be persueded to pass.

AnnieBHappy replied to ONEEYESLIM's response:
Hello to Everyone Who replied with their insights and tidbits of 'wisdom' (punny, huh?!) Ouch re: 'ONEEYESLIM' passing out and knocking his or her head!!! Yowch! Yes, these decisions that arise that I have to make as a parent for my daughter; I've always found so difficult...I LOVE HER so very much...she's just such a sweet genuine soul and I always try to make optimal choices. So thank you to the responders who have, and to those who still may, respond. I like getting as much feedback from others of their experiences so I can make as informed of a decision as I can! No worries, the choice is ultimately ours; so, your honesty is much appreciated and not to wonder if it should be offered due to feeling responsible or anything...it is our choice. A very grateful AnnieBHappy. These post/blog things are new to me and so very wonderful...People really do care about each other, huh!!!
Thanks again for Caring and Sharing...A.B.H.

Olivia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi there!

It looks like we have a few folks on here who could benefit from asking questions on our Oral Health community , where we have two great experts to give feedback!

Here also is some basic information on wisdom tooth removal and wisdom tooth problems that I hope will be helpful.

Take care,
Olivia

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.